Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sirius radio for music on hold

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramblingrebel

IS-IT--Management
Nov 25, 2010
CA
I have a customer that wants to have his sirius radio account used as his MOH source
i don't use Sirius, nor do i want to :)
is there any "gotcha's" i should be aware of using this on a bcm50?

thanks
rr

I'm guessing that this Sirius Account is for a streaming service?. If it works, then I guess that its fine to use. In some countries such as the mine, there are performing right laws in force and playing music unless it is a non royality one can be breaking the law.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

yes, i learned that little "we will fine you if you stream a radio station on your phone system" rule in canada about 10-15yrs ago
(rather stunned theres a government agency in charge of that)

i warn my customers, and let them do the actual "plug in" so my fingerprints aren't on it

i was just wondering if anyone has done it and if there were any technical issues i should be aware of
(currently they have a Sirius "box" of some sort on their current system they want me to migrate over to this bcm)

thanks
RR

My chime to clients...
A business cannot broadcast or re-broadcast music unless you pay for it.
Radio Station is an example, they pay artists for broadcasting their music, same goes for paging equipment like restaurants, malls, MOH and so on.
You can go to SOCAN.com (Canada) ASCAP.com (USA) whom are rights handlers and provide licenses.

"is there any "gotcha's" i should be aware of using this on a bcm50?"
Licensing would be the only one but also make sure it's 600 Ohms going into the BCM(and Norstar).

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Sirius radio comes with a license to use it in a business if you sign up with a business account.

It's actually one of the selling points to get a business account with Sirius and plug the unit into the MOH.
about double the price of a personal account and there are some sirius channels that are not available on a business account because it allows this type of use.

It's right there in the website "On hold music" as one of the advertised uses:

The FAQ covers the licensing included:
Why are music service subscriptions for business more expensive than consumer subscriptions?
When music is played in a business for the enjoyment of patrons and others, this is a "public performance" by the music artist - and a royalty fee must be paid to performance rights organizations, which include ASCAP, BMI, SESAC, GMR, and SoundExchange.

SiriusXM Music for Business wraps these fees into the cost of the service, so you don't have to pay them separately

i'm so out of touch these days i didn't even know Sirius sells a boom box
(came with a VERY long antenna)
customer had one, with business license
plugged right into the MOH port on bcm and away you go...

i'm going to go dig out my old technics turn table and abbey road vinyl :)

thanks
rr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back