Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SIP Trunks on BCM

Status
Not open for further replies.

tecphonelady

Vendor
Mar 21, 2003
US
Hello, I've been reading through some previous postings and have asked around, but still not feeling like I have an good answer.

Will the BCM support SIP trunks from a Provider?
If yes, which BCM models & releases?
Is it a straight Ethernet connection and add associated Keycodes or do you need a gateway of some sort and if yes, why?

Thanks,

Ann

AT&T and Verizon
BCM450 R1
Keycodes

"Adversity is Opportunity

Thanks for all the info.

Has anyone installed Broadvox SIP on a BCM 50 Rel 3.0 or BCM 450?

Ann

I am interested in the answer to this question myself. :)

Can anyone provide more information on the SIP gateways mentioned in this thread? They might be cheaper than key codes even if they add another layer of complexity.

NARSBARS

Audiocode, Adtran and others make the gateways. Best to see which gateways the SIP provider has tested with and work it from that direction.

Ann
phonelady.com a Broadvox Partner

I have worked with SIP trunks a lot. It is definitely a case of you get what you pay for. My experience with multiple providers is that the quality on SIP sucks. With that said I think SIP is the future. We tried to use them to replace PRI at first. Now we are just using SIP trunks in addition to PRI for certain toll situations.
SIP on the 450 seems to work fine for SIP. The problems you will face with are well documented SIP problems not BCM problems.

The quality on SIP only sucks if the provider you are using hops the call to another IP network. You get latency, jitter and loss of packets which results in bad quality calls regardless of G711 or G729 codecs.

We set up our own SIP Server with TDM backbones becuase of this and the only issue we have to worry about is QoS at customer site, if needed. We have a lot of sites without QoS and using G711 with no voice problems.

There are a lot of Gateways on the market, but Patton make an excellent gateway with inbuilt QoS and Downstream QoS, however, if you have the option of direct SIP trunks from the PBX go this route.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back