Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SIP Trunking 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilIVT

Vendor
Feb 3, 2006
US
I am working on setting up a SIP Trunk for a customer with their data person. We have been through the docs and technical tips, but still can't get a call to complete. Has anyone set this up successfully yet or seen any better documenation?

Yes

ACA - IP Office Implement
ACS - IP Office Implement
ACE - IP Office Implement

Go on a version 4 update with your local friendly distributor.

There are quite a few bits you need to set up and there are different ways to do it.

Have a look here........

ACA - IP Office Implement
ACS - IP Office Implement
ACE - IP Office Implement

Phil,

Which SIP Provider are you working with?

Are you running SOE, 406v2, or 500?

Is your IPO behind a firewall? If so, which?

IP 500, Broadvoice.com is the provider and sonicwall for the firewall.

If you have never done a SIP trunking implementation before, you are in for a long hard road.

-For starters, put the IPO directly on the internet so that you don't have to worry about NAT transit issues. You can try to put it behind a firewall or NAT later, but believe me you don't want to have to worry about that yet. You will have plenty of other issues to deal with.
-Make sure that you know how ARS works. If you don't have your short code and ARS configured correctly, it will never work. You will probably need to append the outbound dial string with the IP or URL of the SIP ITSP.
-You must have the SIP gateway on LAN2. It won't work on LAN1.
-Once you have LAN2 configured correctly, you MUST run the STUN server search and it MUST respond that it detects open internet. If it doesn't, then it will never work.
-You will need to setup your SIP trunks correctly. Unfortunately, there is very little accurate information out there regarding configuring this section correctly.
-There is much more that needs to addressed, but it would take too much time to do so. Read all the documentation that Avaya provides and then start testing.

This should give you a starting point.

Thanx Binx. I will take your notes and compare to where we are at. I never would have guessed LAN2. We have been on LAN1.

I have a question, if I am not implementing SIP on my system, is there a reason why SIP proxy is checked and could it cause any performance issues? I have a new install of IPO 4.0(5) on DS406, my vendor told me it was checked by default, but if it could cause any issues, and I don't need it, is there any reason I should leave it checked?

We've had alot of issues...

PhilIVT,

We have SIP trunking set up behind a Sonicwall. Need a little more info then I can tell you what to look out for:

1. Is your Sonicwall running enhanced or standard OS? You will want SIP Transformations ENABLED, and you will want to create a SIP firewall rule from your WAN interface to the private IP of the IPO.

2. In the System Settings on your IPO, "Lan1" and "Network Topology" what do you have listed for Firewall/NAT Type, Binding Refresh, Public IP and Public Port?

Has anyone been successful setting up SIP to Broadvoice on the IP Office? I have successfully connected to callwithus.com and callcentric.com via my SOE.

It appears that Broadvoice requires an additional entry "outbound proxy" that differs from the ITSP entry. I am unable to determine how or where to enter this.

binxwalker:
Why do you say it won't work on LAN1??? I have 2 test SIP trunks with different providers on our IP500. One is on LAN2 with private addressing and the other is on LAN1 over the open internet on our ADSL.

They both work fine behind Zyxel ADSL P600 series routers.

One word of warning for the UK engineers::

Be very carefull with number ports with these ITSP's. They are in general only small companys and don't have the agreements or the Telco understanding we are used to. I fell foul of this on friday.

Number port applied for checked and aggreed by the ITSP. Port date given. Customer moved premises. IP500 installed. SIP trunks configured and working. Number routing tested with ITSP for Port numbers. BT refused number port as they found out that the numbers belonmg to C&W!!! Customer has now moved from one side of Leeds to the Other and cannot keep his numbers. We didn't find this out until 16:00 on Friday afternoon. Crap Day!!!!!

Jamie Green

ACA:Implement - IP Office
ACS:Implement - IP Office

Fooball is not a matter of life and death-It is far more important!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back