Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SIP trunking on Parter

Status
Not open for further replies.

phonesaz

Vendor
Dec 18, 2006
US
Has anyone used the Multitech MultVOIP FX? If I am reading this correctly I can hang one on a Partner and produce phone calls via the Internet - for example in Phx I can pick up a Partner handset, the MultiVOIP creates a call path over my ethernet connection, and I can call my mom in Ohio.

I have only used this on Magix, where I went E&M switch to switch so am a little unclear about how it works sending calls to a random POTS line. My customer is really interested in knowing that other people have done it...thanks for any feedback.

my thought on this would be that you can build a SIP trunk out to a provider. You cant just call over the net to anywhere. it would be a IP trunk to the SIP provider and then they do the conversion to PSTN. it would show up on the partner just like any POTS line. you could also link your partner to any other SIP capable PBX this way. or link 2 partners together over SIP.

Kevin Wing
ACS- Implement IP Office
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

So I would go: Partner port/Multitech port/selected SIP vendor/PTSN? And what I am eliminating here is copper lines and toll calls?

you eliminate the copper line and toll calls if your provider lets you dial like everything local and charges you local.
I used a linksys PAP2T successfully on a Partner ACS R5 before I got my IP Office, as long as the analog ports give up enough ring voltage and give dialtone with enough voltage so that the Partner system knows that a line is connected you can use anything. The difference is that they now are Avaya approved.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACS

If you can't be good, be good at it!

When you say "they" are now Avaya approved, do you mean Linksys, or just SIP trunking in general?

some ATA devices are approved, the list is in the R8 manual before Avaya did not approve the hookup of ATA's to the Partner system so if it worked you were lucky but if not they told you that they don't care and it is unsupported ergo your own problem. The Line interface needs to have certain parameters for the Partner system to work and it is now tested and made sure that it works on the devices listed and if you hook these up then you can be certain that it will ring and you can make outgoing calls without any problems.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACS

If you can't be good, be good at it!

What I am looking for is the best way to handle a client with offices in two separate states who talk to each other all the time. Their T1 contracts are almost up, and their business is wayyyy down (they are in the construction industry) and they are looking for the most inexpensive way to communicate. Since they need high speed internet at each location, and have Partner ACS at each location, I was trying to come up with a solution that would allow them to call each other via the internet and remove the toll expense, and to perhaps eliminate a couple of copper lines at each end at the same time. I have the hardware worked out in my mind, also the point-to-point connection but where I don't understand the operation is what company to choose for the SIP trunking which would, for lack of a better description, "emulate" a couple of lines at each end for each partner, allowing local calls. Then just leave 2 copper lines at each end for backup and overflow. It should work and save them money - or at least that is my idea until someone shoots it full of holes.

@ Phonesaz - MultiTech MultiVoIP boxes will do this very well. You can emulate trunks or analog stations - depends on how you want the dialing between sites to work. What hardware did they use with the T1 circuit?
Mike

You could do this with a multitech on each end and then no need for a SIP provider at all. You would need some kind of VPN between the sites. the multitech would create a connection to the other end and talk to each other. then just a couple of outside lines for regular calls on each end.

Kevin Wing
ACS- Implement IP Office
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back