Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SIP trunking carriers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kristiandg

Programmer
Sep 27, 2002
US
Good evening all.....

Has anyone gotten the IPO to use Vonage through its native SIP connections instead of those stupid analog adapters (ATAs)?

If so, details please. I'm having a heck of a time getting it set up for a client...

Thanks

Kris

Here are some examples from other SIP providers, maybe this could help.

Greetzzz...Bas

y1pzZTEUdok1vrI5cLb3FdPX4PgTPlSONkb5WPjz0x50etSujaMSmhdRCbOx9vASnrRNzzXv0IxNQA

Thanks, but I've actually seen that before. This is a bit different because Vonage doesn't specifically offer their service in this form, only with an ATA. I'm also curious if they allow multiple calls on a line when using the native SIP method (if it works).

Kris

I'm trying to use voipcheap on my system the line is showing as active but i can't get any calls to run over this line using 8N sortcode

kristiandg,

Vonage is a CLOSED system, you will not be able to connect the IPO to them.

Go with a true business grade ITSP/SIP Provider. You will be much better off, and this forum is tooled to help you.

Here are two providers I've set up with no issues:

Nexvortex
Callcentric

Neither of them are on Avaya's approved list, which really only means that as of now they've not paid to join Avaya DevConnect. But they both wok fine. I used one of Avaya's approved providers and it was 12 months of hell.

Bummer, but fair enough. What about Broad-voice..... That should work. Anyone have any luck with that?

Kris G.

This may help.... Here's what Broadvoice gave me:

outbound_proxy_server: proxy-nyc.broadvoice.com
proxy_port: 5060
registrar_server: sip.broadvoice.com
registrar_port: 5060
phone_number: (10-digit phone number)
auth_id: (10-digit phone number)
auth_password: (the super-secret password)
ntp_ip: ntp.broadvoice.com
DTMF: rfc2833 if available, fail over to InBand if rfc2833 not supported...

I've tried several setups and NONE allow a call. Also, NONE appear to register, as I call the number and it hits their Voicemail system directly... Nothing on debug (monitor) so its not even hitting me. Registration Required is enabled, as is IN SERVICE.

If I had a wall in here, I'd bang my head against it.

Using ARS as well, with "@proxy-nyc.broadvoice.com" tailed onto the end of the outpulse. Also, tried just "@sip.broadvoice.com" and the IPs for both. Same error.

Domain (in SIP Line form) is "sip.broadvoice.com" as well as the IP that I get when I ping this name. I've also tried making it "proxy-nyc.broadvoice.com" (changed IP to match this name) and "broadvoice.com". Tried outpulsing both 7-, 10-, and 11-digit variants....

Trace shows "Media Not Supported", but I've set it on both g711 & g729, both of which are supported by them (you see in call setup).

See what I mean about that wall?!?

Kris...

It could be that the privider sents back to much sip info which the IPO cannot handle. Over here our provider come up with another sip server ip adress. Also cisco routers could be a lot off trouble with SIP.

y1pzZTEUdok1vrI5cLb3FdPX4PgTPlSONkb5WPjz0x50etSujaMSmhdRCbOx9vASnrRNzzXv0IxNQA

easy test for the providers that you sure can't get it working: if they MAKE you buy their ATA then you will be out of luck because it is not even possible to get into the root programming of the ATA so you won't know what their call servers are and where to point the IP Office.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACS

If you can't be good, be good at it!

Quoting
DavidCT (TechnicalUser)
10 Aug 08 10:55
kristiandg,

Vonage is a CLOSED system, you will not be able to connect the IPO to them.

Go with a true business grade ITSP/SIP Provider. You will be much better off, and this forum is tooled to help you.

Are you sure of that?
if vonage can use a linksys PAP, doesnt it imply that is working on SIP?
I told a customer to "insert" 4 vonage ATAs into an IPO 500

[Always Close your threads for avoiding other people to entangle]

The vonage ATA's run on Vonage specific firmware but you can always try. I for one would not use them out of one reason alone, they are just to darn expensive, there are good solid providers out there that charge you a lot less then vonage and you can use the IPO for it.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACS

If you can't be good, be good at it!

ZebrAYA:

DavidCT is absolutely correct. Vonage is a closed system.
They can and will shutoff your account for attempting (successful or otherwise) to connect up to their service.

Now, that's not to say that I personally haven't tried. If you order the softphone option (I don't know if it's still available) you can't connect it to an ATA. However, YOU MUST have an ATA based account prior to establishing a softphone feature.

DavidCT and I have been around this question many times. To that, he is also correct regarding using a true ITSP. They are less expensive, offer more features, and have reasonable tech support. We on this forum have also worked out most of the bugs regarding SIP trunking on an IPO (at the cost of hair, brain cells, and unrecoverable pain staking hours spent sifting through logs).

I have successfully setup the following:
CallCentric (the better one of the bunch)
DIDWW (very reliable)
Free World Dialup (FWD)
CallWithUS (allows you to set the outgoing CLID)

Here's the true benefit, they are MUCH LESS EXPENSIVE then Vonage. While some would say that Vonage has a better network, I'd have to wonder about that. It's certainly difficult to argue over a phone line that costs your $1.95/month for 3 channels (plus $.016/min) or $4.95/month for 2 channels of incoming only.

If reliability is your issue, my advise is to do business with several (don't put all your eggs in one basket).

Dave:

Nexvortex? That's a new one.

Drew

tHANKs

for making it me clear the vonage matter.

Now I have arguments to explain my customer that the vonage integration is impossible.

I've always heard of vonage as expensive, anyway my customer was happy with them due to a unlimited USA local plan and working as a "virtual line" for incoming as well as outgoing calls.

lets keep the way to build our own SIP ITSP ranking, based on experiencies not on advertising.

[Always Close your threads for avoiding other people to entangle]

Drew2400:

We swapped over to Nexvortex back about April of last year. Of all the providers I've worked with (AGN, Callcentric, bandwidth.com, DIDWW, and Voxitas), Nexvortex has been the most reliable service (call completion, audio quality, etc.) and AGN by far the worst.

Nexvortex has pretty good packages to. For $30 a month you get unlimited concurrent calls/channels/trunks/call it what you like (limited by your VCM/SIP Licenses) and 1,250 minutes outbound usage (inbound is free). Then it's 2 cents a minute after that. For $40 a month you get 2,000 minutes.

Anyway, I'm begining to sound like a salesman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back