Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SIP Trunk Setup Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlk53

Technical User
Mar 22, 2005
US
New to E Metrotel. Just got a UCx50 Demo kit. Got SIP extensions working as well as Nortel 1120 set. Now trying to set up SIP trunking to local carrier but there is only 1 LAN port on the box. I have left it at default for my testing purposes to simulate a customer LAN. MY SIP provider says I need to use address 10.116.0.128 to terminate the SIP trunk. I know that this box does SIP trunking so how do you configure it? The documentation I am looking at does not address it. Any help would be much appreciated.

my first comment is that the ip address given to you by the sip provider doesn't appera to be route able over the intenet. ip addresses starting with 10 are typically private ip addresses.
Comment from ICANN:
Comment: These addresses are in use by many millions of independently operated networks, which might be as small as a single computer connected to a home gateway, and are automatically configured in hundreds of millions of devices. They are only intended for use within a private context and traffic that needs to cross the Internet will need to use a different, unique address.
Comment:
Comment: These addresses can be used by anyone without any need to coordinate with IANA or an Internet registry. The traffic from these addresses does not come from ICANN or IANA.

with that said: may I ask who the carrier is? Most carriers have configuration notes for different voip systems. If you can get me the notes i can take a look and suggest a configuration that would work. Look at the config notes for Elastix if they have them.

Also look at the Trunk Providers tab in the UCx and see if the carrier you are using is listed. If the carrier is listed, it becomes simply a matter of replacing the pertinent information in the screen and hitting submit and apply.

If you do get it working shoot us the config and we will add it to our trunk providers list for future use.

Thanks for the quick reply. I do understand IP addressing. Forgot to mention important detail. I am from Cable Bahamas in Nassau, Bahamas. We have just signed on as a reseller. This is a lab PBX and because Cable Bahamas is the SIP trunk provider, no public address is being used for this installation. We are new to SIP trunking so hope to be able to use it along with the UCx PBX for our customers. I will be doing further setup and testing tomorrow and will advise.

Don't know if you were able to set up your sip trunk yet or not. If you want to add a sip trunk just click on PBX then the Trunk Provider tab. Click new account and fill in the information. The UCX50 will add the trunk for you. Then you'll have to program your inbound and outbound routes accordingly....

Voice Connect Plus, Inc.
have a great day and a better tomorrow

Yes I was able to get it set up but thank you for the input. Always appreciated.

You're going to have to provide more detail on how the SIP trunking is delivered.

There are basically 3 ways ITSP's provide SIP trunking.

1. Via a secured connection like MPLS. If you do it that way, you will have a separate router and some kind of network interface device like an Adtran box. This is the most secure and expensive way for SIP trunks to be delivered.

2. Via a separate standalone DSL type connection with dedicated bandwidth. Generally this connection is unsecured and requires you to use a username and password to register to the SIP provider.

3. Via your existing internet connection. This is the cheapest and most unsecure method of delivery. You just need your account credentials to register your system to the ITSP.

Given that your supplier has supplied you with a private IP address, my guess is that they are using method 1. If that's the case, you will need to know what their host ip address is (or resolvable host name). You will need to enter this info in the peer details of the trunk configuration. The IP address you need is the one for the sbc at their end, not the private one. To test it all, you might want to change the ip address of the UCx to be on the same subnet as the address they gave you (ie 10.116.0.125)

Here's a sample configuration you can try to see if you can get connected:

type=peer
sendrpid=yes
rfc2833compensate=yes
relaxdtmf=yes
progressinband=no
insecure=port,invite
host=the ip address they gave you or their host name
dtmfmode=rfc2833
disallow=all
context=from-pstn
allow=ulaw

Incomind Details:

type=peer
trustrpid=yes
sendrpid=yes
rfc2833compensate=yes
relaxdtmf=yes
progressinband=no
insecure=port,invite
host=the ip address they gave you or their host name
dtmfmode=rfc2833
disallow=all
context=from-pstn
allow=ulaw

Good Luck and let us know how you make out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back