Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SIP Trunk Echo

Status
Not open for further replies.

coneill79

Vendor
Apr 14, 2005
US
We are Running IP500 4.2 (4) with SIP Trunks from Curry IP.
We are using 5410 Digital phones locally and Verizon FiOS 20 down 6 up to the SIP provider.
All Inbound calls are fine no trouble at all.
However outbound as follows:
Call to TDM PRI or T-1: no problems
Call to digital home end point (i.e. Comcast): no problems
Call to cell phones: no problems
Call to analog (POTS) either a home phone or connected to a PBX: Echo on our end (IP Office end, we are hearing ourselves)

We have tried every VCM Echo cancellation setting and have noticed no change.
Suggestions?

I am no IP Office pro, but wouldnt that be something with the phone company? if your calls are all going out using FiOS but only the calls to a POT line on the other end are echoing. That sounds to me like it would be a problem with the phone company's hardware?

Yes it would be but I am trying to offset the echo on my end cause we all know that the carriers are not going to make any changes!

so you are trying to fix something that is caused by your carrier through settings on your system? Very noble idea but won't work. Call them tell them the problem and they can fix it if they can find the problem and if you call them often enough.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACS

If you can't be good, be good at it!

This is how I see this problem:
The problem is probably not Verizon.
The problem is an Impedance mismatch when going from Analog to digital.
So the problem is with the Netprovider who has the analog trunks in your country.
In some countries the Netproviders sets a Static Impedance value at the station. They will take an average length of the cable between the Station and the end customers and use that Impedance value on all ports.
So if you do many tests against analog end users, you will finally find one that has the exact length of cable and there will be no Impedance mismatch and no echo.

If you are already using the new VCM cards from Avaya with more echocancelling, this will be difficult to cure.

The only way I know is to lower the volume output from IPO, because the less you put out, the less echo you get.
But if you put to less volume out, then of course the external party of the call will complain.
Only problem with this solution is that I do not think it is possible :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back