Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SIP TIE trunk between two S8300D AVAYA CM systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

IPOthermia

Vendor
Nov 22, 2006
US
Does any have two (or more) AVAYA CM 6.3 PBX systems connected by a SIP trunk? I have an H323 trunk between my two AVAYA PBX systems currently and for fun I decided to try setting up a SIP trunk between them. And, it doesn't want to work. Perhaps I have to purchase the $100,000 dollar adapter known as System / Session Manager.

You could get a SIP trunk working but what would be the point if H.323 works, unless if you're bored as you said =)

"Trying is the first step to failure..." - Homer

I have the H323 trunk working, I just find it very strange that supposedly (SIMPLE) SIP doesn't work.

Do a list trace on the TAC.
Usually it's a domain matching issue.

Do you have a working SIP trunk between two AVAYA CM systems?

Haven't done it between CMs since H.323 gives you more feature, I have SIP between CM and IP Office.

its simple and works , make sure you have lev-0 set on your route pattern , everthing else is sig group , trunk group and aar.

APSS (SME)
ACSS (SME)
ACIS (UC)

When I program up the signaling group and the trunk between the switches they start off as in service. It doesn't take long before the trunks go into an out of service state and then the signaling group goes into far end bypass. Makes no sense to me since I already have an H323 trunk between the same systems. Why would it be so difficult to get a SIP trunk to operate between the same two systems?

This to me seems more like a routing issue at network level , keepalives or options being blocked etc ... I bet if you put the kits on the same Lan it would work flawlessly, however it may be something else can you actually place a call ?? if you can place a call and leave it open you should see the trunk to remain in service , if it does then that supports the network issue theory.

What is the exact topology set up how do you tie the kits together VPN/MPLS etc and what routers are in use etc ?

Make sure early direct media is off on the sig group (this is not going to fix your immediate issue but will prevent voice issues down the line when you get your network routing issues resolved)

APSS (SME)
ACSS (SME)
ACIS (UC)

I doubt the routing theory because I have an H323 trunk working between the same two destinations on a fully meshed MPLS network. The two sites in questions are on metro E connections at 100 Meg.
Since I am trying to setup a SIP trunk between the same two PBX systems where I already have an H323 trunk it should be a slam dunk. No calls can take place on the SIP trunk since I cannot get the signaling group to stay up.

Ok well i cant assist further as every time i have set up this type of scenario and had issues its been down to cicso routers set up incorrectly , the direct sip just works , there are plenty of dev connect documents on google that show the correct settings for sig and trunk group so maybe sanity check your programming if you are convinced your network level is ok , but to compare h.323 to SIP and expecting it to work is optimistic.

APSS (SME)
ACSS (SME)
ACIS (UC)

Ohh actually one more thing i bet you are using TCP try TLS on the sig groups instaed , and make sure the ports match on both systems sig form.

APSS (SME)
ACSS (SME)
ACIS (UC)

I have other SIP trunks for voicemail and the SES that is still lingering around, but as for connecting S8300 to S8300 what I thought would be a slam dunk apparently isn't.
There really aren't a lot of parameters to mess up.

Tried both TCP, TLS, and 5060, 5061, and 5070 and 1 or 2 others. Several variations overall. I have run out of ideas. My only guess is that AVAYA just wants to force me to buy System/Session Mangler.

Done this many times as well without SES or SM. It could be that those ports are blocked since SIP is using different ports than the h323. Don't make the giant leap to say "X works on my LAN therefore Y should work fine so I know it's not my LAN".

-CL

Since both of my CM's are on the same MPLS network (which is not firewalled internally) and netstat on both PBX's shows connections for either 5060 or 5061 from the opposite PBX depending on programming, I doubt the issue is related to ports being blocked.
I am thinking that a CM to CM SIP trunk it not a supported feature. My guess is that the CM platforms lack the intelligence to establish a SIP trunk between CM systems.

I have seen the following SIP trunks work in my environment.
CM SIP to Modular Messaging
CM SIP to AVST Voicemal
CM SIP to SES

However
CM SIP to CM is a no go.

So what are the edge devices on each side of the network ? SIP ALG OFF.

I can promise you direct sip from a 6.3 back down to 5.2,.1 works and to all versions in between i have approximately 20 CM to CM hooked up like this, cant you just run a packet capture with wireshsrk and see what happens....

APSS (SME)
ACSS (SME)
ACIS (UC)

You can also try if one of the kits is 5.2.1 changing the trunk type to public network from tie , on only of the earlier patches of 5.2.1 tie kept bombing out , but i would be running wireshark on the edge devices and then on the procr or clan , thats the other thing of course are all your systems , gateways and MM/TN on the latest firmware.

APSS (SME)
ACSS (SME)
ACIS (UC)

Currently I am on 6.3.8 and the CM to CM issue I am having appears to be a software bug within the AVAYA software.

From the AVAYA 6.3.10.0 Release Notes:
Changes delivered to Avaya Aura® Communication Manager 6.3.10.0

A direct SIP trunk between two Communication
Manager servers could not be placed in service when
the Layer 3 test field was set to y.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back