Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sip phones down on UCX50 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

atdjr123

Technical User
Mar 12, 2012
US
I have a ucx50 that is my demo but also doubling as my office system. The system has been up and running for the most part successfully for the past year. HI have a license for 10 users and only have 5 connected or at least I did until now. I have 2 nortel phones and 3 sip phones. Just out of the blue my sip phones all de-registered at the same time. However, my nortel phones are still up and running with no issues. I haven't changed anything in configuration and all my sip trunks work just fine. These are three different phones, yealink, polycom and snom. Unable to dial internally or externally. Any thoughts anyone????

Voice Connect Plus, Inc.
have a great day and a better tomorrow

Are the SIP extensions showing offline on the dashboard?
whats the results of sip show peers?
anything unusual in log files?
and of course the phones are powered up with an IP address

Go to "PBX - Tools - Asterisk CLI" and run the command "sip show peers" - are your SIP phone extensions listed as OK or Offline?
Alternatively, you can go to "Reports - Extensions Overview" to check the status of extensions.

If the SIP extensions are listed as offline, are your SIP phones correctly configured to register with the UCx server? Check the IP address and port number specified for SIP accounts in the configuration of the phones - is it the UCx IP address and the port number used by UCx (5060 by default)? Do the passwords in the phones' configuration match the passwords in the UCx configuration of the SIP extensions?

Sorry gentleman, I just got back. My sip phones all show offline and below is result of sip show peers

Name/username Host Dyn Forcerport ACL Port Status
148336/148336 74.54.54.178 5060 OK (49 ms)
148336_0930/148336_0930 74.54.54.178 5060 OK (1053 ms)
202 (Unspecified) D N A 0 UNKNOWN
205 (Unspecified) D N A 0 UNKNOWN
206 (Unspecified) D N A 0 UNKNOWN
5 sip peers [Monitored: 2 online, 3 offline Unmonitored: 0 online, 0 offline]

Voice Connect Plus, Inc.

All phones have been configured correctly. As I said before, they all have worked for over a year until 2 days ago. My Yealink is configured with the outbound proxy with the ucx ip address and the sip server is my sip provider.Password is same as with sip trunks.

Voice Connect Plus, Inc.

Check your UCX licences, if it is a demo / training kit they may be expired.

I am a bit confused. Are the SIP phones really configured to use your SIP provider as the SIP server? If that's the case, then the phones are registered with the SIP provider's server - not with UCx. In that case, the status "Unknown" for the SIP extensions would be logical (as UCx would not be the server with which the phones register).

Also, I don't understand why you'd specify the UCx IP address as an outbound proxy - why wouldn't you access the SIP provider directly for outbound calls? Actually, can UCx be used as a proxy?

Would you mind sharing info about what extensions you register and where - plus how calls are to be routed? Your setup seems to be quite unusual - it looks like I could learn something new here.

Just a thought........have you done an update lately?

I had my Yealink phone configured so that the sip server would be ip address of provider and outbound proxy would be ucx50's ip address. So what you're saying is it should be the opposite. Wouldn't I want the sip server as inbound and access the ucx for outbound. All calls made from the sip phone would access the outbound routes of the ucx and inbound calls would be routed through the ucx. As for the Snom the registrar would be the ip address of the provider and the outbound proxy the ip address of the ucx. This has been working....

Voice Connect Plus, Inc.

Hey Telcodog, at the risk of sounding ignorant but how would that factor into the equation if I have 10 licenses and only using 7. I had the understanding that any phone could be used as long as the licenses were active and valid...

Voice Connect Plus, Inc.

I only ask because more than once when I updated my demo system anjd whatever they did, my whole system locked up and wouldn't work at all. They had to ssh into it and took several hours to figure out what the updates did to it. They did fix it of course, but it did take it out of service. Doesn't happen often but you never know with updates/patches.

There's no obvious reason why those phones stopped working after a year so when stuff like that happens to me I always look first at what changed recently and updates are one of those possible factors. The way you have your phones configured is a bit odd but if it worked, hey......why not. You might want to try just sending them directly to the UCx and see if they will register that way. If so, look to your service provider as a possible culprit.

Keep us posted. It's an interesting problem.

I am not saying that something should be reversed - I just don't understand what you're trying to do and how your configuration is supposed to work. Based on your description, your configuration is as follows:
- your SIP phones are registered with some SIP provider (not with UCx)
- inbound calls are routed from the SIP provider directly to the SIP phones (UCx is not involved at all)
- outbound calls are via UCx as the proxy
Now, this contradicts with the title of this thread - if your SIP phones are down (I assume you mean not registered), they are not registered with your SIP provider - UCx has absolutely nothing to do with it. You should contact your SIP provider to find out why.

In my opinion, a typical configuration of UCx with SIP phones and SIP trunks from a SIP provider should look more like this:
- SIP phones are registered with UCx as SIP extensions (i.e., UCx is the configured SIP server)
- SIP phones do not use any outbound proxy (they use UCx where they are registered)
- SIP trunks from a SIP provider are registered on UCx as trunks
- inbound routes are configured on UCx to route calls to SIP extensions (phones) based on DID or in some other way (ring groups, IVR, etc.)
- outbound routes are configured on UCx to allow SIP extensions (phones) to make outgoing calls over trunks

You mentioned that you have 2 Nortel phones. If these phones are functional, you already have the inbound and outbound routes configured to allow these two phones to receive/make calls. It sounds like all you have to do is to reconfigure your SIP phones to register with UCx and you should be able to make/receive internal and make external calls. To receive incoming calls from the SIP provider for trunks that were used so far directly by your SIP phones, you should add corresponding SIP trunks to the UCx configuration.

Yeah, I tried that also. Right now I'm just scratching my head on this one. I had tried working with Emetrotel's support staff but I've been getting a little flack from some of them. We have a little history. Apparently I must've ruffled some feathers with a few of my threads. Oh well, I'll just keep at it bro. Thanks

Voice Connect Plus, Inc.

Hey Ucxguy, I get what you're saying and my phones are configured as extensions. These phones were all registered up until a few days ago. Also in my opening thread I did say that they all deregistered at the same time. I have sip trunks configured for inbound routes to sip extensions and IVR's - Day - After Hours and Spanish. I also have Time Conditions, Time Groups with Day/Night Control configured and working fine. Outbound routes also no issues. I also configured the sip phones as you have stated and still no registration....

Voice Connect Plus, Inc.

I have found these guys to be extremely helpful, they must have been having a bad day. Give them a call back and let them know of your frustrations. Tell them Joetheucxguy told you to call them. Ask for Ardavan and say you know Joe Sus.

I've only had this problem occur once before when I had internet connectivity issues with my ISP. For some reason the SIP phones would go out when I had ISP/Networking problems, but the Nortel Unistim phones would stay up. Have you tried deleting and then rebuilding the extensions? Play with the NAT settings......or also wait for UCx guy on here to add more feedback, he is really good!

"Keep the Peace, Use RLS"

atdjr123,

What happens if you go to the support tab and look at the asterisk/full log file? Does it show anything if/when you try and register the SIP extensions? If it doesn't show anything revealing, try going to PBX -> Tools and type in "sip set debug on" then click Execute and it should say "sip debugging enabled". Try and re-register the phone again. Now go to the Support tab and look at the asterisk/full log (you'll probably need more than 100 lines). Any signs of maybe an invalid port or invalid password or some sort of odd configuration?

NOTE: Once you find it or if you're done troubleshooting, go back to PBX -> Tools and type in "sip set debug off" to disable SIP debugging or else your log files will get full fast and it will tax the system :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back