Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SIP conference bridge - what are people using with Mitel

Status
Not open for further replies.

fissure

ISP
Mar 7, 2003
GB
Hi there,

wondering what people are using for in-house conference servers/bridges, ie, you can dial in, and enter a code, to join a conference.
(maybe something less 'full on' than Mitel's Audio Web Conferencing/UCA)

looking for in-house to avoid the per-minute/costly dial in numbers that a lot of hosted products have

Audio only is fine (ie no video)

With the Mitel 3300 we can have up to 8 party conferences, but by and large you need to call out to the other parties (they can't call in), unless you do something (which we haven't tried) with auto-answering analog ports I believe.
And getting even the call out to someone and join them to the call from analog/SIP conference phones (as opposed to proper Mitel desk phones) can be a pain.

We're looking for something that will connect to the Mitel via SIP, and internal+external people can call in, be routed to the conference bridge, and it will answer and prompt for conference number etc

We looked at:

Quorum Phone Conference Server - runs on Windows, which works as a SIP client (and we seemed to be able to get 3-4 people per extension on the Mitel, so possibly less expensive than solutions which rely on SIP trunks to the phone system/Mitel). But it doesn't seem to be actively developed any more.

Looked at TekConSer today, though don't yet have it working
but it only supports 8 parties (the same as the Mitel), though you can dial in to it, which you can't do with the Mitel

I believe Mitel's 'Quick Conference' product was licensed from another company, does anyone know who/what it was called, to see if it can still be bought?

I guess Microsoft Lync might be another option?

google also turned up:
free Linux open source app: and:
- SylkServer is available for Ubuntu, Debian and for MacOSX
and:

welcome any input/suggestions, Neil

We use MCA on MAS .

If I never did anything I'd never done before , I'd never do anything.....

Do you have access to Mitel 5000?
It has Meet-me Conferencing that is simple and sounds like what you're looking for.
You dial in to a conference number and enter a PIN and you are then joined to the conference.
You could SIP Trunk the 5000 to the 3300.

Use MCA

I'd tell you a UDP joke but I'm afraid you won't get it. TCP jokes are the best because you always get them.

MCA is our solution for customers who require audio conferencing.

Looks like I'm over ruled [hammer]

I have never used MCA so will now investigate.

I would stick with MCA.

As an FYI, the Mitel Quick Conference server was actually created by Mitel. It was based on the Mitel 3050 ICP - which never really sold. The Mitel 3050 ICP was turned into a fancy state machine, and if are using Benbria, then you are using the Mitel 3050 ICP.

Just setup my AWC on MAS 2.2 for audio only.
Was painless and works quite well.

Think the MCA is pretty simple if its audio only.

I'd tell you a UDP joke but I'm afraid you won't get it. TCP jokes are the best because you always get them.

I'll chime in again,
I forgot that I had an Elastix (Asterisk) server that I sometimes play around with.
I did setup a meet-me conference with this and it works. It is also free, so you would only need some hardware (server) and SIP Trunks licenses on the 3300.
Just a thought.

Other things you may be able to use it for
- Fax to email server
- IVR Server
- SIP extension server
- Basic Voicemail Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back