Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SIP calling from web browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sympology

MIS
Jan 6, 2004
GB
I'll try to make this make sense.

Is it possible to make a SIP call from a browser.

Now bear with me on this.

Say I want to call

My phone is 1000
and is registered to SIP server with IP address of 192.168.0.10

I'm thinking of a way of sending a message that goes something like
To sip:90123456789
From sip:1000@192.168.0.10
via (maybe?) 192.168.0.10

but no idea if this is possible, let alone how.

Does this make sense?

Just to clarify, the phone is NOT a client on the pc, but a seperate device entirely.

Most people spend their time on the "urgent" rather than on the "important."

SIP is a protocol that has its own unique requirements. A simple To and From with IP addresses and phone numbers, if that is what you are saying is not going to get the job done for you, as its not supporting the SIP protocol.

There are SIP clients you can add to your computer, that will follow the standards, and allow you to make a call from that IP address via the client. It will have to have a registration with a soft switch somewhere, either a PBX, or SIP trunk, or hosted SIP provider, etc.

If you want a SIP client, you can try out Xlite at Counterpath.com, its a free version of their product.

Just to know i'm getting somewhere with another guy from Tek-Tips using a TAPI interface he's developing.
I've had some luck with SIPTAPI, but it was hit and miss and it often had trouble with disconnect.
Another line we are working on is an Active X component that will translate numbers into the correct format. e.g 0123 456 789 will become SIP:0123456789, this calls the TAPI client which hooks into the PBX and establishes the calls.

Most people spend their time on the "urgent" rather than on the "important."

why are you taking that much pain for voip calls. Simply install x-lite and contact with some good voip service and u will be able to make all types of voip phone calls.

Working as team leader for axvoice dot com

why are you taking that much pain for voip calls. Simply install x-lite and contact with some good voip service and u will be able to make all types of voip phone calls.

Working as team leader for axvoice dot com

You could use firefox and donwload the telify plugin.
But make sure you have tapi connected.

Avaya_Red.gif

Dain Bramaged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back