Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Singular or Plural WHAT? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjv1611

Jul 9, 2003
US
I've never really thought about it before, but when I was asked a grammar question, I was trying to explain something, and wanted to narrow down "singular or plural" into one word. So, is there a word that I'm just forgetting? Singular what? Plural what?

The word, plurality, came to mind, but that isn't it. Plurality just covers plural, not both. Singularity is for singular..

So, any thoughts/references? It's not an earth shattering important item, but did get me to thinking.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

In germany we have the term (foreign word as many grammatical terms are) "Numerus", which can be either singular or plural.

Looking that up in wiktionary and changing to english I find grammatical number and some dictionaries translate that to "number" [lit], which on it's own of course is ambiguous.

But I think this is the term you look for, (grammatical) number.

Bye, Olaf.

Thanks, Olaf. That was one of my earlier thoughts, but I thought surely that wouldn't be it. I guess the reason it is practically never used is because of it being so ambiguous.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

That's one of the advantages most grammatical terms have a latin name. Numerus actually just means number as well.

You might use terms like magnitude, amount or count.

Bye, Olaf.

..a (final?) side note: You're used to latin terms for grammar in English, too, singular and plural are the best examples already. You have the exact same latin words for eg subject, object, adjective, preposition, etc. in german they only differ with the k for your c, of course.

And of course magnitude amount or count don't really have the same meaning than the grammatical singular or plural, which just differentiate between one or many.

Bye, Olaf.

If something is singular, or plural, you are talking about its "cardinality". Is that what you're looking for?

than -> as, sorry.

Cardinality i it's mathematical meaning is not only separating one from many, but it fits better than every word I suggested, perhaps even better than number.

Bye, Olaf.

Yeah, that's right, Olaf - Cardinality is more about order than "how many" But yes, Sam, I can see why that would come to mind. At first glance, I thought "that's it!"

Can't contribute on the original question, but let me muddy the water with a somewhat related question.

In English, is there any word other than the word both, that is a plural inplying only two?

I only find twain as archaic. That reminds me: Is there any similar word than twice? And I don't mean double, I mean for other factors than two. All other multiples are called N times, aren't they?

Bye, Olaf.

dual, duo, duplex, twin, pair, couple

All other multiples are called N times, aren't they?
Not necessarily, there is triple, trio, quad, quintet, octet, sextuple, quintuple ...

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

I see, I always thought this was my invention. Anyway, there is no general inflection.

How would it be for 4? Fource? I think that's where it ends and why it ends. It's bad enough there is Force and Fourth.

But thanks, now I know thrice a real alternative to three times.

Bye, Olaf.

It's bad enough there is Force and Fourth.

Not if you are a "Star Wars" fan/nerd on that ONE day of the year! [yoda] (no Ob1 Wan 'smiley')

Chris.

Webmaster Forum

Do you know besides other history of this pun, this also roots back to a press conference in a german news tv channel with Goerge Lucas by an english/german simultaneous translator? He really translated "May the force be with you" with "May the 4th, we'll be with you". Obviously the translator wasn't a fan of the saga.

Skip forward to 1:00, the question to George Lucas was about "the" (most important) quote of the saga.

Bye, Olaf.

le
ChrisHirst said:
dual, duo, duplex, twin, pair, coup

Aaaah. duplex. :) Anyone remember half-duplex? Seriously, that's what they called it.

==================================
adaptive uber data solutions for info galaxies (bigger, better, faster than agile big data clouds)

Skip said:
In English, is there any word other than the word both, that is a plural inplying only two?

Perhaps you are looking for twoth (pronounced tooth). <grin>

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel.

tetrad? The only applies to 4 (km[sup]2[/sup]) in Ordnance Survey cartography.

How would it be for 4?

Quad, Quadruple

5 == Quintuple or Pentaduple (as in Pentagram, Pentangle)
6 == Sextuple or Hexatuple
7 == Septuple
8 == Octuple

Chris.

Webmaster Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back