Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

single user receiving multiple copies of a single email

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmartineau

IS-IT--Management
Jan 19, 2010
CA
We are using exchange server 2010 with clients in outlook 2007. I have a user that is getting multiple copies of a specific email sent from another user in our organisation. There are no issues with other emails from the same sender or with emails from other senders, no other users has reported this issue.

There are random delays on when the user is getting copies of the email, sometimes it will skip a day , or it will come in after a few hours then start to come in every minute... It does not occur on every send receive.

- I have uncheked cache mode but the problem still occurs
- I have checked in OWA and the multiple copies are there
- There are no rules on the client side
- There are no special rules on the server side.
- In message tracking the multiple copies of the email have the same Message ID but different Internal Message ID and different bytes count (but they are all the same exact message)

Any help would be appreciated

Transport rules
Journalling
If Outlook stays shut and you use OWA for both send and receive, does it happen? (Server side) or not? (Client side root cause).

Check the Delivery Options on the Mail Flow Settings tab of the mailbox properties to make sure an additional delivery point isn't causing a message loop.

When all else fails, read the book!

It could be that a copy of the email has been stuck on the sender side, in their email client app, and it continues to be reset, based on the behavior/environment of the sender. That would explain some of the things you are seeing.

Look for Sync Errors on the sender's Outlook and see if that particular email has been generating them.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back