Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

single-user mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

chayase

IS-IT--Management
May 10, 2001
US
My 44P-170 running AIX 4.3.3 is not finding any network interfaces and is hanging when attempting to NFS mount remote machines. I would like to bypass most of my /etc/inittab file and basically just boot up in single-user mode but I can't get to a console login prompt to do that. Is there any way around this? Is there something I could use from the SMS screen? Thanks.

Colleen

Try to change the first meaningful line of [tt]/etc/inittab[/tt] from
[tt]
init:2:initdefault:
[/tt]
to
[tt]
init:1:initdefault:
[/tt]
To change the default mode from multiuser to monouser.
I hope it works...
Unix was made by and for smart people.

Actually, I wasn't very clear before. I can't even get to a prompt where I can edit the /etc/inittab file because the machine is hanging when attempting to run any network startup scripts found in /etc/inittab. I hoped it would time-out but it doesn't appear to be doing so.

In Solaris you can do a "Stop-A" which brings you to the "ok>" prompt. From there you can run "boot -s" to boot in single-user mode. I wondered if AIX has a similar feature.

Colleen

Booting PCI-based systems into Service mode

When booting a PowerPC into Service mode, cd0 or rmt0 must be before the hdisk in the bootlist. If not, change the bootlist at boot time. On some models, you can set the machine to use a default bootlist that includes both cd0 and rmt0. If a bootable CD or tape is in the CD-ROM or tape drive, the machine will boot from this device.

For most of the newer PCI-based models, selecting the default bootlist, with a bootable tape or CD loaded in the machine, causes the system to automatically boot from that device. Generally, the next menu on the screen asks the administrator to define the system console.

If you are using a graphical terminal, you will use a function key such as F5. If you are using an ASCII terminal, use an equivalent number key such as 5. Use the numbers across the top of the keyboard, not the numbers on the numeric keypad. On ASCII terminals, the icons may not be displayed on the screen; the number can be pressed between the second and third beeps, the second beep being a series of three clicks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Once in service mode....you can remove the network settings or any changes you made to inittab..........

For AIX Versions 4 and 5, choose Start Maintenance Mode for System Recovery , option 3. The next screen will be called Maintenance; select option 1, Access a Root Volume Group. At the next screen, type 0 to continue, and select the appropriate volume group by typing the number next to it. A screen like the following will display.
Example:

Access a Root Volume Group

Type the number for a volume group to display the logical volume information and press Enter.

1) Volume Group 0073656f2608e46a contains these disks:
hdisk0 2063 04-C0-00-4,0

Once a volume group has been selected, information will be displayed about that volume group.

Example:

Volume Group Information
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Volume Group ID 0073656f2608e46a includes the following logical volumes:
hd6 hd5 hd8 hd4 hd2 hd9var
hd3 hd1
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Type the number of your choice and press Enter.

1) Access this Volume Group and start a shell
2) Access this Volume Group and start a shell before mounting filesystems
99) Previous Menu

If the logical volumes listed do not include logical volumes like hd4, hd2, hd3, and so on, you may have selected the wrong volume group. Press 99 to back up one screen and select again.

Now you may select one of two options: Access this volume group and start a shell , option 1, or Access this volume group and start a shell before mounting file systems , option 2. Option 2 allows you to perform file system maintenance on /, /usr, /tmp, and /var before mounting them.

NOTE: If you intend to use SMIT or vi, set your terminal type in preparation for editing the file. xxx stands for a terminal type such as lft, ibm3151, or vt100.

TERM=<xxx>
export TERM

Errors from these steps may indicate failed or corrupt disks in rootvg. These problems should be corrected. For additional assistance, contact your vendor, your local branch office, or your AIX support center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back