Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Single User Mode and Console doesnt accept input

Status
Not open for further replies.

prophetoffire

Technical User
Nov 12, 2002
AU
Hi All,

I changed the IP Address of my HP UX in the netconf and now I get the NFS server failing to connect making the server unusable. I am trying to connect in single user mode, and I can get it to boot using ISL and then adding "hpux -is" but after it loads up I am unable to type any commands into the console. I am connect to the Server via a Console cable and have set putty to use vt100 terminal emulation.

Can anyone give me some ideas on how to sort this out?

I use my laptop, connect to the 3 Head Plug... using the one marked console...

HyperTerm, COM1, 9600, 8-N-1 XON/XOFF.

You do not need to go into single user mode if you connect via the console port on the server...

The real question here is why did changing the IP address make it unreachable? Is it because you also need to change the default gateway? DNS was not updated?

Sorry that this is not much help, but it may give you a starting point.....

I am connected via hyper terminal using COM1. All I get on the console is the following:

NFS server (pid663@/net) not responding still trying

I have left the box on over night and after close to 15 hours I am still getting that. The only change was the IP Address. The default gateway and DNS should was not changed.

Hi,
any error (even typing error) in netconf will cause the system not to configure your network card correctly, so you will get the error you reported.
You can boot into maintenance mode (hpux -im) and correct your configuration.
HTH,
yai

You do not need to go into maintenance mode to fix this problem. Stop the NFS client by issuing the following command

/sbin/init.d/nfs.client stop

This will stop the server not responding messages.

The following is a pointer to the HP-UX NFS troubleshooting guide:

If I put the box into maintenance mode I am unable to send any input via the keyboard. But I am unable to login because I dont get teh prompt because of the message.

I think there is something gravely wrong with this server.

Normally, in maintenance mode there should be not nfs, so no nfs problem either.
Try to boot from another medium, e.g. cd, boot tape, ignite image on an ignite server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back