Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

single user choice fills multiple fields in a table

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimmech

Technical User
Jan 20, 2004
US

evening...

I have a table called TblBox in which i store box dimensions BoxType1,Dim1,Dim2,Dim3 ect. There is also a continuous form which pulls customer/order info called FrmShip where I would like to select "BoxType" from a pulldown list using TblBox as control source. Once selected I need the 3 dimensions from TblBox for that "type" to be copied into coressponding fields in TblLineItems.

How is this acomplished? Any guidance would be helpful.

thx

-dimmech

One question first: is FrmShip bound to TblLineItems? This has a bearing on how to accomplish what you want. I'm thinking column notation, but need to know if the destination recordset is already open via the table, or if we need to open a recordset object with code.

Just wondering, why do you want redundant data in your tables? Why not make BoxType the primary key in TblBox with a corresponding foreign key in TblLineItems and define a relationship? What you propose can certainly be done, but sounds like a non-normalised data structure. There can be quite valid reasons for doing so, of course. Just curious...

Ken S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back