Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Single mail box restore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

teklow

MIS
Apr 2, 2001
US
Hi, there:

I am using Arcserve2k back up exchange5.5 server daily. I have exchange agent and I back up exchange server using the agent. Right now I don't do brick level backup. If I want to have single mail box restore capability, how do I do this? Just select brick level backup option?

thank you in advance!

Yes, you are correct.
Keep in mind not EVERYTHING comes back with a bricks mailbox backup...
You MUST do a COMPLETE backup of the DIRECTORY and Information store to be able to recover a full server.
You should TEST a complete Exchange Disaster Recovery on a lab machine and network BEFORE you have an emergency.
I know the techdoc is for 661, but it is basically the same for 2000...
Regards, Jim P. Ames
jimpames@hotmail.com

Hi,
In addition to what Jim said previously, here's some more info :

- directory and database backup are used for server crash
- brick level is when you have erased a mailbox or a message within the mailbox (for instance)

So backing up the whole server looks like being redundant, but it's necessary: if the server crashes, you'll be able to restore the complete Exchange system (directory and database). If you erased a single mailbox, you'll only have to recreate it (exactly as it was BEFORE), initialize it by sending a mail to it, and then restore it. It's much faster than restoring the whole, multi-gigabytes database!

Hope this helps,
LST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back