Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Single/Double Quote Syntax Trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 4, 2003
US
I have a script that writes values to a SQL Database. Unfortunately some of the data contains single quotes in the name (ie. Mom and Pop's Food). I can't seem to get the right combination of quotes to to get this to work. Here is the code that works great for a simple name (ie. Northern Food). Just need to figure out how to make it work if the value contains a single quote. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

iReturn = slapi_DBExecuteSQL("UPDATE ACCOUNT SET ACCOUNT = '" & strAccount & "' WHERE ACCOUNTID = '" & strAccountID & "'")

The variable strAccount is the one that is giving me trouble.

iReturn = slapi_DBExecuteSQL("UPDATE ACCOUNT SET ACCOUNT = '" & Replace(strAccount,"'","''") & "' WHERE ACCOUNTID = '" & strAccountID & "'")

-DNG

Thanks, but I'm getting a syntax error still. The script thinks Replace is a sub-routine or function.

How about something like this....

ACCOUNT = 'Replace(" & strAccount & ","'","''")' WHERE

I know this isn't it specifically, I'm still getting an error with this.

oops i am sorry...

do this...
before the sql query...

strAccount=Replace(strAccount,"'","''")

then you can have the query same as previous...

iReturn = slapi_DBExecuteSQL("UPDATE ACCOUNT SET ACCOUNT = '" & strAccount & "' WHERE ACCOUNTID = '" & strAccountID & "'")

-DNG

We're still missing something. strAccount is a variable in the VB Script. The SQL Statement is being built on the fly. The SQL Statement actually looks like this when it runs:

UPDATE ACCOUNT SET ACCOUNT = 'Northern Food' WHERE ACCOUNTID = 'AB45GH6'

The problem I have is that variable sometimes contains and single quote and looks like this.

UPDATE ACCOUNT SET ACCOUNT = 'Joe's Food Shop' WHERE ACCOUNTID = 'AB45GH6'

That extra quote of course crashes the statement. I know I'm on the right track with the REPLACE command just can't get the syntax right in the statement.

you need to apply the replace() function to your variable before passing to your sql query.

-DNG

How about looking at this from another direction...
How can I make this statement work?

SELECT * FROM Account
Where Account = 'Test Account's'

Tried putting it in brackets and enclosing it in double quotes and it thinks its a field name and not a value.

Every character ' inside a string needs to be replaceted with two characters '', as DotNetGnat shows you

SELECT * FROM Account
Where Account = 'Test Account''s'

Zhavic

---------------------------------------------------------------
In the 1960s you needed the power of two Comodore64s to get a rocket to the moon. Now you need a machine which is a vast number of times more powerful just to run the most popular GUI.

The original query is correct. Try this:

Code:
sSQL = "UPDATE ACCOUNT SET ACCOUNT = '" & Replace(strAccount, "'", "''") & "' WHERE ACCOUNTID = '" & strAccountID & "'"

iReturn = slapi_DBExecuteSQL(sSQL)

--James

Still getting an error in the vb script that says REPLACE is an undefined Sub or Function. What is the VB Script equivalent to Replace?

Or this

so

sSQL = "UPDATE ACCOUNT SET ACCOUNT = '" & strAccount.Replace("'", "''") & "' WHERE ACCOUNTID = '" & strAccountID & "'"

Zhavic

---------------------------------------------------------------
In the 1960s you needed the power of two Comodore64s to get a rocket to the moon. Now you need a machine which is a vast number of times more powerful just to run the most popular GUI.

Thanks for all your help. I suspect I'm having problems with the software that is using the scripts and not the scripts themselves. I've contacted the software vendor for further asssitance, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back