Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Single column to matrix

Status
Not open for further replies.

elac

Technical User
Jul 9, 2002
BE
I use a single column table in my Business Objects report but as there are many rows, I'd like to transform my single column table into a multipe columns matrix.

e.g.

A
B
C
D
E
F

to

A B C
D E F

Any idea ?

Thanks in advance.

Well, that is not what BO tables are used for.
A table is meant to display measures against dimensions (+/-details) From that basis you are supposed to use the rollup functionality or drill through data.
Matrix-style presentation is not part of the package.

For a limited set of values you can trick BO into representing it more or less, but I suspect you have a very large set of data.

In BO classis you can simulate this by using 3 non-synchronized dataproviders , then build 3 tables and show them side by side. But then you need some query definition to bring in 3 sets of data with no overlap

Ties Blom

I hoped that there was a simple solution but apparently, it's not possible. My table contains on average between 100 and 200 rows.

Thanks anyway for your help.

No simple solution to offer.
However, every row from the dataprovider has a unique rowindex number. So if you build a variable that validates the list of rowindex numbers into 3 groups you can then display the 3 lists side by side (use floor(),mod() and rowindex() functions)

Alternative , define dimension X like:

=Floor(mod(<Rowindex()>/3)) and try to fit this into a dummy crosstab

[no idea if this works, no longer working in a BO shop]

Ties Blom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back