Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Single Click Install 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBLR

IS-IT--Management
Jun 13, 2002
IN
Hello,

Is there anyone aware of how to create single click installation CD? That means, If I insert a CD in to a Fresh Machine, it should boot, partition the HDD, load OS, applications and other softwares. Is it possible through any mechanism?

Please confirm.

MBLR

Ghost is to replicate from One HDD to another HDD.

TO: "MBLR" - Yup, it is *possible* to produce what "wolluf" calls a "superdisk!"

You'll have to learn how to use what is called an "Answer File" (aka: "unattend.txt") in order to provide "setup" with all the info it normally stops and asks the user for, *plus* any other "options, feature-choices, and commands" you wish to customize your w2k install with (within certain limits).

Basically, you create a "script" (txt file) with all of the "answers" required by "setup" in order for it to be able to run in "unattended mode." But, you *can* go waaaay beyond that; which is what you are wanting to do.

There are various ways that "setup" can be run in "unattended mode," which makes all of the documentation provided by Microsoft *extremely* confusing. However, it is *worth* the effort to install W2K using this approach, since there are many *options* you can "pick-and-choose" from that a "standard" install simply does not make available. Plus, it *can* be TOTALLY "HANDS-OFF."

So, although it is possible to "create single click installation CD" - to do *everything* you mentioned (i.e.: "partition the HDD, load OS, applications and other softwares"), you should be prepared to do a lot of experimenting and spend a fair amount of time reading about it.

To simply start Windows 2000 Setup in unattended Setup mode from the Windows 2000 product CD:

1. The computer must support booting from the CD-ROM drive—El Torito No Emulation CD boot support.

2. The answer file must be named "Winnt.sif" and must be placed on a floppy disk to be inserted as soon as the computer boots from the CD.

3. The answer file must contain a [Data] section with the required keys specified, as well as other sections and keys that will control exactly *how* you want w2k to be configured during "setup" (i.e.: partitioning; formatting a file system, etc.).

To simplify this process, modify the BIOS to specify the CD-ROM as the first bootable device, the floppy drive as the second, and the hard drive as the third.

I have been successful with the above, but haven't tried doing anything beyond attempting to "optimize" the install to the configuration I'm interested in. After accomplishing a "base" image and burning a CD-R, I add the apps I'm interested in having on that particular machine, then burn a "working" CD-R backup.

HOWEVER, it is my understanding the "Winnt.sif" answer file may also be placed on and run from a bootable CD, *and* can contain commands for installing copies of "other softwares" for which you hold valid licenses - i.e.: apps that can be copied from their install CDs and that can be burned onto the same CD-R as the w2k install files (providing there is sufficient space remaining; appx 400MB). It may also be *possible* to "pause" the setup to allow inserting your various apps CDs; I think it would take some fancy instructions in the Answer file's "commands" section, but, I must reiterate: I have NOT tried this.

The *most* definitive source of info I've been able to find regarding the "parameters" for an "Answer File" is called "unattend.doc" stored on the Windows 2000 Professional CD within \Support\Tools\Deploy.cab.

The Windows 2000 Resource Kit is on-line at MS and also has lots of info; search and read about "Deploying Windows 2000"; "Answer Files"; "Unattend.txt"; "Winnt.sif"; etc.

Evidently, not too many people visiting these forums have tried or had much experience with this technique, judging by the minimal response to the thread I started on the subject:

w2k "unattend.txt" (aka:"Answer File") OPTIONS LIST
thread616-451837

Good Luck "putting it ALL on one CD" ! Keep us posted !

eegads, BloatME...you're a typing madman! :)
I'd like to see a single-click custom install myself, but it aint gonna happen. You will have to input some information like PC name and network card if not supported by windows, video card for different PC's, etc. But, you can get close using Ghost or BloatME's unattended install description. You can get pretty darn close to a perfect "generic" install for any brand of PC, but not one-click.

Well..you can do it for a certain type or brand, but not for a universal install i should say. pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

TO: "pbxman" -

I reiterate: I've never tried a "full-blown" *single-click* custom install.

However, using the "unattend.doc" I mentioned above, along with hours-and-hours of sifting thru the MS knowledge base, multiple *test installs* on different hardware, I've been able to do *almost* ALL of the items you mentioned (i.e.: "You will have to input some information like PC name and network card if not supported by windows, video card for different PC's, etc.").

Therefore, although MS docs are sometimes *very* confusing (to me, anyway), I'm sure that what "MBLR" is attempting to accomplish is not only "do-able" - but, it's already been "done" (probably many thousands of times). Here's a quote from MS that leads me to believe this:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Customizing and Automating Installations

In an organization with a large number of computers, it is more cost effective to automate the installation of Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Professional than it is to use the standard interactive Setup program to install it manually on individual computers. Windows 2000 Professional includes methods and tools that allow you to add specific components and applications to your installation and to distribute that customized installation to the end-user with little or no intervention. In Windows 2000 Professional, you customize your installation by using answer files and by adding files and applications of your choice to a distribution folder.

There are a variety of tools that you can use to distribute customized Windows 2000 Professional installations to destination computers. The method you use depends on your current environment and needs.

(copied&pasted from: )
Modify the answer file and populate the distribution folder:

Add entries in the answer file to automate specific tasks during installation. Populate the distribution folder by adding files, programs, and applications of your choice. These can include mass storage device drivers, Plug and Play device drivers, and applications.

(copied&pasted from: )

Basically, "to go all the way" to a "single-click" CD, you're creating an "OEM Pre-Install" CD, and it will take a good knowledge (beyond what I have) of knowing *how* to "pass commands" (that you *correctly* compose inside of one or more "Answer Files") which the w2k "setup" (install) program then uses to execute a *precise* installation.

[UserData]
"ComputerName"
Specifies the computer name. If the ComputerName key is empty or missing, the user is prompted to enter a computer name. If the value is *, Setup generates a random computer name based on the organization name specified.
Note: The computer name specified should contain no more than 63 characters. If more are specified, the name is truncated to 63 characters.

"FullName"
Specifies the user’s full name. If the key is empty or missing, the user is prompted to enter a name.
Note: This parameter is used to ensure that the Setup mode is completely unattended.

"OrgName"
Specifies an organization’s name.

"ProductID"
Specifies the Microsoft Product Identification (aka: CD Key) number.

[Networking]
This section header must be present for unattended installation of networks.

[NetAdapters]
This section specifies the network adapters to be installed. Each adapter present in the computer must be listed as a key = value pair. The key name is user-defined and acts as an identifier for the adapter to be installed. The value of this key (also user-defined) specifies a section that contains parameters for the adapter under consideration.

[OEMBootFiles]
Specifies OEM-supplied boot files. This parameter is only valid if OemPreinstall = Yes and the files listed here have been placed in the \$OEM$\Textmode folder of the OEM’s distribution share point.

"Txtsetup.oem"
This file contains descriptions of all the OEM-supplied drivers listed in this section and includes instructions on how to install them. This file must exist if this section is listed.

[Display]
This section specifies display settings for the particular graphics device being installed. For this to work properly, the user must know what settings are valid for the graphics device under consideration. If the previously specified settings are not valid for the particular graphics device, Setup finds the closest match to the selected settings to configure the device.

"BitsPerPel"
Specifies the valid bits per pixel for the graphics device being installed.

"Vrefresh"
Specifies a valid refresh rate for the graphics device being installed.

"Xresolution"
Specifies a valid x resolution for the graphics device being installed.

"Yresolution"
Specifies a valid x resolution for the graphics device being installed.

etc.,etc.,etc....far more comprehensive than I have room for here; and waaaaay beyond any "ghosted" image of a stock install (IMHO).

NOTE: There are a few *corrections* to the "keys" provided in the w2k CD's "unattend.doc" (originally published April 2000); you should read thru the "Windows 2000 Resource Kit" and especially its "Errata" section at the MS website:
Good Luck !

I'm well aware of what the unattended install is capable of, but unless it's designed specifically for a certain machine, in reality there are a few things that often need updating or changing. I'd rather use an image or RIS over a network than a CD. A CD is limited to the amount of data it can fit obviously, so somewhere during the process you need to rely on network resources, or make a drive swap.

Single-click install unnattended would also run into problems preparing the hard drive for use. You can get around this with other utilities, and while im sure it's "possible" it's not exactly practical unless you are setting this up for certain machines in which you know all of the hardware and driver requirements.

If a device is not in the HCL, it's not going to install the right drivers, and you'll have to manually update it, or point it to a different driver database. Thats where it becomes impractical.

I've created images and unattended installs to take me into basic "windows" with IE6, Office, NAV, etc. But - it's more practical to stop at some point in order to specialize and differentiate between different departments and needs. Not always the PC you setup for a certain department actually GOES into that department.

Single-click?...lets see..once keystroke when it asks to boot from CDROM to prep the drive, another after partitioning and formatting partition when you need to boot from CDROM again..thats 2..then the install would actually start. From there, it's up to the unattended install files.
Thats also provided your BIOS is setup to boot from CDROM first.

:)
Like i said..i'd love to see it, but single-click is pushing it. Definitely 2 or 3 though. If it's for a known machine, yeah - but for any/all machines? No. If you don't switch to a larger driver database on the network automatically, you will eventually run out of room for apps & drivers on a single CDROM. Install windows from scratch and load up office, IE, and NAV. You aint gonna fit that on a single CDROM.

It's "possible", but like i said - impractical. Imaging would be the better option if for nothing else..imaging is MUCH, MUCH faster than an unattended install.

Anything is possible, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the best solution to the problem. MBLR - go for it! :) pbxman
Systems Administrator

TO: "pbxman" -

I agree with you completely; and since we don't know "MBLR's" purposes or intentions are for such a "one-click" deployment, my best advice for him is to "keep reading" about it, and "running tests" in order to eventually accomplish whatever it is that he is after.

On a different "note" - since you're obviously far more experienced than I am regarding the construction and use of "Answer Files" - have you ever run across a better (perhaps, more up-to-date) listing of the *possible* Sections & Keys, other than the "unattend.doc" on the w2k install CD ?

Thanx, in advance.

Yeah - you make your own! :) SetupMGR.exe is what you use to manage and update the answer files. The one on the 2K CD is automatic, so by specifying certain things (if you know the specific hardware in the PC that is..) you can customize it to suit your needs. As far as some huge, whopping database that contains everything under the sun...no. I haven't come across one of those puppies yet. :p

I tried using unattended for a while, but now i get much more use and power out of disk images, so unattended has taken a back seat to images lately. :\ pbxman
Systems Administrator

That's what I've been doing; refining different "winnt.sif" files for various "base" unattended installs on specific machines set up for specific purposes. Once the "base" fits the purpose, I use DriveImage to create a "square-one" image; then add apps and refinements and create a "working" system image.

Once you have *the* images that "fit your purposes" *then* you're definitely beyond any need to "install" windoze.

What *really* fired my interest was running across an old KB article on winNT, that dealt with its use of "AnswerFiles" to allow you to even choose NOT to install any version of IE ! (or any MS email app; and *almost* anything else !) And one of the answer file "keys" was:

"PleaseDoNotInstallDefaults" ! ! !

which you could set to "0" (meaning: "Please*DO*installDfaults"), or "1" (meaning: "yes" - don't do it !)

So, there's just no telling *what* is possible with w2k's unattended install without having a *comprehensive* listing of exactly what "setup" will recognize as a *valid* parameter.

As far as the "Setup Manager" goes (which isn't very far, IMHO), it's basically just a severly limited wizard designed to produce the simplest unattend.file; it may even have some bugs. Here's a quote from "Sample Chapter - Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Pro Expert Companion" -

"Even simple errors in answer files can cause Setup to stop before it ever gets started—and you won’t get any hints about where the problem lies. If you receive a message saying that your Setup script file is "inaccessible or invalid," check each line to see that it follows the proper format. Be sure that all values with spaces are enclosed in quotation marks. We were once stumped for quite some time because the basic answer file that Setup Manager produced wouldn’t run. It seems that, because of a bug in Setup Manager, it sometimes omits the quotation marks if a string contains a comma!"

Go figure . . .

Yeah - setup manager is there to get the major things setup for you automatically, then it's editing time manually adding in the things you want. Thats where all the magic comes into play. I don't have the patience for that though, so more power to all the unattended maniacs out there! ;) pbxman
Systems Administrator

Hi,

I m using PowerQuest Drive Image which is quiet handy if you are having same hardware through out the network for your local workstations. And do some modifications for changing SIDs of the system write some batch files for adding the systems in to domain Amd you need DHCP for IP addressing. this is quiet easy to install a OS like windows NT and Windows 2000. If you are having identical Hardware then you can create one system with all the necessary applications you need that minimum appliocations you need.

e.g Office, Outlook, Lotus NOtes, Winzip, Acrobat...etc...

Then install PawerQuest Drive Image on the Another system and connect the Hdd ehich you ahve prepared as a secondary to that system and create the Image of that HDD using Power Quest Drive image And after creation if image save that image to Network location that and share it. Then create a bootable floopy i.e. starup disks using Power Quest hust you need is that your TCP-Ip i.e. your NIC drivers for the Accessing the LAN and then DHCP server for IP address . Then Tselect the image from network location to copy on your HDD then use batch file to chage the SID of the system create another batch file to add the machine in the domain. For changing SID you can easily find out the utility by searching
find out more info on
You can do single click installation using PowerQuest Drive image.
Aslam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back