Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Since updateing to SP4 and installing the msblast patch . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

bangbangchicken

Technical User
Sep 12, 2003
US
Any of the office 2k apps asks for a CD. (on W2K)

I've had a search on the knowledge base but cannot find any useful solutions.

Any one else had this problem?

BTW - My first post, so top-o-the morning to y'all [peace]

Do you mean that whenever you try to open any of the Office 2K applications that they all ask for the CD? My guess is that they may have been corrupted and you would be better off uninstalling and then reinstalling them.

Another thought (and am assuming you were not having this problem prior to the SP4 update/Blaster patch) is whether you had installed the full CD (I typically do just so I don't have to worry about the CD later) or whether you just did a typical install. But thinking about that I would not think it would ask for the CD each time. So, back to my first thought, I would try the uninstall/reinstall option and see if that helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

This happened to me. Executing the apps directly from their folders worked. The solution was to make new shortcuts.

Thanks Chopstick, Thanks IFRs.

Chopstick I tried un/re-installing - same error message. Also pointing the CD request to any data1.msi (that is what it wsa looking for) file also failed - and I tried a good few.

IFRs - Never even thought of that - interesting. It wasn't working directly from any documents either, so if the shortcut idea did work, opening directly from the docs would not have been affected.

I finally found a utility from MS that fixed the problem. The wincleanup exe lets you select any MS program and clears your registry. After that I was able to install a-fresh. Hey presto - everything in working order.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back