Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

simulated WAN link/lab

Status
Not open for further replies.

XoverIP

IS-IT--Management
Jul 6, 2000
US
greetings to all-

I have been tasked with [helping] to build a test-bed...that will latter be converted into a full-blown lab. The purpose is so I will be able to test/troubleshoot used Cisco products [for integrity purposes] prior to being re-sold (nice job- er what!!!??)

My question to you is this:

How might it be possible to simulate a WAN link while interconnecting Cisco devices, w/out the connectivity? I will be using the equiptment to help study for both the CCNP/CCDP/CCIE exams as well. I would like to have some way to at least simulate traffic going across; ATM, frame-relay, serial, etc.

Any input on the shopping list would also be appreciated. So far...computers w/NIC's, AC/DC power supply, ocilloscope, signal generator, multi-meter, varitey of interface cards and misc. cables. Also, if anyone could provide me w/a list of 'must have' items for a Token Ring... that would be great.

thanks for any input-

sko0bz [sig][/sig]

You can hook two CSU/DSU'S with a x-over cable to simulate
a T1 or DDS P2P circuit and connect your routers. If your
routers already have built in CSU/DSU's you can connect
them directly with a x-over.
For frame-relay simulation you need something to simulate
a frame-relay switch. Adtran makes a product that can simulate a Frame-relay switch called te Atlas 550, it can also provide the P2P connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back