Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

simulated WAN link/lab

Status
Not open for further replies.

XoverIP

IS-IT--Management
Jul 6, 2000
US
greetings to all-

I have been tasked with [helping] to build a test-bed...that will latter be converted into a full-blown lab. The purpose is so I will be able to test/troubleshoot used Cisco products [for integrity purposes] prior to being re-sold (nice job- er what!!!??)

My question to you is this:

How might it be possible to simulate a WAN link while interconnecting Cisco devices, w/out the connectivity? I will be using the equiptment to help study for both the CCNP/CCDP/CCIE exams as well. I would like to have some way to at least simulate traffic going across; ATM, frame-relay, serial, etc.

Any input on the shopping list would also be appreciated. So far...computers w/NIC's, AC/DC power supply, ocilloscope, signal generator, multi-meter, varitey of interface cards and misc. cables. Also, if anyone could provide me w/a list of 'must have' items for a Token Ring... that would be great.

thanks for any input-

sko0bz [sig][/sig]

The WAN side is pretty easy to duplicate. You can go back to back with the V.35 cables. Or you can hook up the CSU/DSU to the routers and flip the T1 cable for a back to back. Or ( yes, there's more) you can use 3 routers and have the middle one setup as a frame-relay switch and emulate the entire WAN.

The ISDN is a harder. I know of a couple of ISDN link simulators but they are bucks. It might be cheaper to have two ISDNs pulled into the lab for the setting up loops and what not for testing.

A decent lab needs a 3 servers or so, a few workstations of various types and power, CD burner, image software, decent switch like a Cisco 1900 ( cheap now as used) so you can setup VLANs, Max the flash on the routers to run any IOS needed, various cables, DSU/CSUs to mirror the production network, a cheap rack ( I use one of the wheeled wire racks). Test equipment should be a DVM, OTDR if using fiber, cable tester for quick and dirty, cable analyser for more detailed testing, interface cables, RS-232 breakout box, toner, basic handtools ( screwdrivers, dikes, etc) and I'm sure I'm forgetting something :) The O'scope is not really needed unless you are developing something where you need to analyze the actual bit waveform ( and you know how to use it). In the last 15 years of networking, I've never needed an O'scope.

Just my opinion

Mike S
[sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back