Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

simppe <DIV> question

Status
Not open for further replies.

spicymango

Programmer
May 25, 2008
CA
Hi ,

I don't understand what I am doing wrong that my left side menues are not appearing on the left side one below other.

Thanks

Code:
<html>
<head>
<STYLE type=text/css>

body 
{    background-color: grey;    font-size:14px;    font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
}
div#outer {    width: 70%;  height:75%;   background-color:#FFFFFF;    margin-top: 150px;    margin-bottom: 30px;    margin-left: auto;    margin-right: auto;    padding: 0px;   
}
div#header {    padding: 0px;    margin-top: 0px;    text-align: center; background-color:#659EC7; height:130; 
}

div#nav {    width: 30%;    height: 200; padding: 0px;    margin-top: 1px;    float: left;    background-color:#616D7E;
}
div#navt {  margin-left: 0px;   width: 30%;    padding: 0px;    margin-top: 210px;    float: left;   background-color:#616D7E;
}
div#main {    margin-left: 40%;    margin-top: 1px;    padding: 0px;   text-align: center;   height:65%;
}
div#footer {    padding: 0px;    margin: 0px;     text-align: center; height:62; 

}
</STYLE>

</head>
<body>
	<div id="outer">    
		<div id="header">        
			<h3>Bank</h3>    
		</div>    
		<div id="nav">        
			<h4>Navigation</h4>        
				<ul>            
					<li>Let me not to the marriage of true minds</li>            
					<li>Admit impediments; love is not love</li>            
					<li>Which alters when it alteration finds</li>        
				</ul>    
		</div>    
		<div id="navt">        
			<h4>Navigation1</h4>        
				<ul>            
					<li>Let me not to the marriage of true minds</li>            
					<li>Admit impediments; love is not love</li>            
					<li>Which alters when it alteration finds</li>        
				</ul>    
		</div> 

<div id="main">        
			<p>Main Content -- Love's not time's fool...</p>    
		</div>    
		<div id="footer">        
			<p>Footer text -- Admit impediments...</p>    
		</div>
	</div>
</body>
</html>

Both nav and navt are set to float left without any clearing element. They will therefore float as far left as they can until they meet a previously floated element, so navt floats to the right edge of nav.

If you want the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first.
'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'
Drive a Steam Roller

Basically the behavior you want is the standard behavior of DIV's when no styling is applied.

So just unfloat them, and they will be to the left, and one on top of the other.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

Thanks. I took out the clear it worked.

johnwm yopu said
"Both nav and navt are set to float left without any clearing element. They will therefore float as far left as they can until they meet a previously floated element, so navt floats to the right edge of nav."

What I don't understand is where previous element ends from the top, from there the second DIV starts from the top, so it should not stop at the left, but should slide below it, shouldn't it? I mean they are at different vertical levels. Not side by side.

Floats are not included in the normal flow, so they each only see the last floated element for position.

If you want the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first.
'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'
Drive a Steam Roller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back