Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simple web browser without menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

giovanni4000

Programmer
May 15, 2013
ID
Hi ,

Our application build using PHP. normally we can access it using web browser like Firefox, safari, chrome, etc. The application need Session/Cookies for authentication & SSL connection.
The problem is, we do not want MENU (File, Edit, View, etc) and the icons like (back, refresh, etc) can be click. We can use javascript to make a "blank" browser, but javascript can be bypassed.

Any idea, how to make a very simple browser to work in Linux without menu & refresh/back icon ?
Or how to modify existing browser (not using Javascript) so it can hide the menu and some other icons ?

Thanks

Looks like you're finding solutions. I was going to say run it in Kiosk mode. Most browsers support a variation of that, plus there are numerous plugins and addons.

Keep in mind there are ways to break out of kiosk mode. I was at an airport (Seattle I believe) waiting for a flight once a very long time ago. I had hours to kill and was bored, so I went to this little information terminal thingie they had where you could pay for Internet surfing time. I didn't want to pay, so I just started seeing what I could do without paying. I ended up getting into some help screens that had a search feature. The search apparently wasn't part of their "app", so I ended up getting to an obscure search engine (the big ones were blocked). From there I pretty much had free access, minus certain things they had blocked.

So, bottom line, once you have a solution, test it VERY well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back