Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simple Way To Related Multiple Records To Multiple Records

Status
Not open for further replies.

roystreet

Programmer
Oct 12, 2000
US
My situation that I'm very puzzled about is...
I have a project management database which has correspondences as well as projects. I'm trying to Have a way for Correspondence Item be related to Item 2 & 3. I'd also like to have Item also related to Item 4. All of them have a unique Primary Key (PK). I have been experimenting with using a separate table that just holds all of the PK's that ever had a relationship/link added & would use the Foreign Key (FK) as another field. Ultimately, I want my correspondence entry form to have a list box showing all of the items that are related to it & be able to add more or directly click on it to open it up. Does anyone know of a good resource to figure this out?

You use terms that no one knows what you are talking about
I'm trying to Have a way for Correspondence Item be related to Item 2 & 3
Huh? You need to talk in generalties

I think you want an easy way to do a many to many relationship, but I do not know what you are asking.

To do a many to many you need a linking table. This usually has a way to store two primary keys as foreign keys.

Example. Assume you are doing a track and field event. And you would have many participants to an event and a single participant could be in many events.

tbl_Athlete_Event
athleteID relates to the athlete table
eventID relates to the event table

then you would have data like

Code:
[tt]AthleteID  EventID
   1         a
   2         a
   1         b
   7         b
   4         c
   1         c[/tt]

so athlete 1 is in events a, b, c
and athelete 2 is in a

So what is your question?

And you can also go the other way around:

[pre]
AthleteID EventID
1 a
2 a
1 b
7 b
4 c
1 c
[/pre]
In Event a participate Athlete 1 and 2
In Event b participate Athlete 1 and 7
In Event c participate Athlete 1 and 4

Many-to-many relation

Have fun.

---- Andy

There is a great need for a sarcasm font.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back