Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simple way to estimate memory for small SQL 2008 DW

Status
Not open for further replies.

VE

Technical User
Oct 25, 2000
US

I need to consolidate data from several sources for reporting needs, I have been pushing to put this in SQL instead of Access (!!) and have been asked to estimate the memory needs.

We don't have a DBA or access to one, and all the calculations I have found seem complicated and frankly if I don't get this approved fast I'm going to have to build it in Access, which I dread. Since this is a relatively small (I think) database I'm hoping that there is a simple way to make this estimate.

It will be a star, with the main table having about 50K records. I expect to add or refresh about 2000 records per week using SSIS. I've been reading up on various tricks to make this more memory efficient, but I guess I should assume the worst.

Can someone please point me in the right direction? Or is there a simple calculation I can use? Everything I find seems to assume something much larger and complex than what I need.

Thank you in advance.

VE

Honestly, with such a small number of rows, your memory needs will most likely be quite small. I would suggest that instead of trying to use a formula to estimate the memory needs, that it would actually be better to just put the data in to a SQL Server database.

I would recommend that you download and install SQL Server Express. SQL Express is a free version of Microsoft SQL Server. There are some limitation to express that are not likely to affect you. For example, the per database size limit is 10 GB. If you've been doing your work in Access, which has a much lower database size limit, then you won't have any problems with the free version.

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop
twitter
"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back