Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simple Wall-Plate Question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mk81596

Technical User
Sep 26, 2005
US
What are the low voltage metal squares that you but into sheetrock to connect your faceplate to called? I am trying to order some but cannot remember the name.

Thanks

The ones we use are the BB-10 caddysmade by Eirco.

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.
Thomas A. Edison

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

ARLINGTON LV-1 is another brand that works quite well. They call theirs a "low voltage mounting bracket", as above the most commom name is "mud ring". Before "mud" we called them "plaster rings". It comes in several flavors...

....JIM....

I prefer the Caddy MPLS (single gang with screws). The metal ones work better than the plastic and the screws cinch it up tight against the drywall.

LkEErie

Thats it... The Caddy MPLS. Thanks,

For the ones you can install with a 'hole saw':

Caddy makes the MPLS but you may want to look at the AT&T
'AT-90' also. (Graybar carries both)

The difference:
the MPLS uses a dry wall screw to attach the 'backing ring' to the wall
the AT-90 uses adjustable 'clamps' that come with it.

You can also buy plastic ones and many places today, but I have noticed the screw holes for the faceplates are just a hair smaller and take a greater effort to mount the plate.

The ones that are put in when the walls are being built are normally called 'mud rings' and are put in by your electricans,in commerical applications they will attach a flex to it for the cabling to run into.

Good Luck,
Bob

Has been in the cabling business for about twenty years and is now the Sr PM for a cabling company located in the Los Angeles area.
Also a General Class Amatuer Radio Operator.

Put one of these 6-43 drill taps in your screw gun, and actually cut a thread into that plastic hole. Then the screws will go in and out like butter

17611.JPG

Tommy comes up with another Great solution (should have been obvious but it never occurred to me )

I dug through my tap box and found a couple of 6-32 taps , tapped a couple of the Arlington low volt plates , worked great

you can tighten the screws up with your fingers

I'm going to go through and do all the ones in the truck . then throw the taps in the truck small tool box

I use the Carlon SC100RR--mostly because I can readily find them at a local Home Depot when I get low on supplies. If you look at you'll see that they are almost identical to the Arlington that Skip talks about.

oldtimerbob: I'm also known as WD6GFL on the 40meter band; rig is a military-surplus Hallicrafters originally purchased in 1978 (I was a novice at 13 years old sending 10WPM on a straight key).

Tim Alberstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back