Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simple VLAN on a 2824 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

smurfhell

MIS
Nov 5, 2004
US
I've read through the manuals, numerous Google results, and plenty of these forums, but I still can't figure out what I'm doing.

I have a 2824 that I want to have 2 VLANs.

VLAN1 = the default VLAN
VLAN2 = SAN VLAN

Let's say that VLAN1 will be ports 1-20 and VLAN2 will be 21-24. Ports 19-20 need to be in both VLANs. My network is using 172.16.0.0/16 with a gateway of 172.16.1.2.

I create both VLANs through the web GUI: ports 1-20 are untagged in VLAN1, ports 19-20 are tagged in VLAN2, and ports 21-24 are untagged in VLAN2.

VLAN1 has an IP of 172.16.1.250 255.255.0.0. I have not set an IP for VLAN2 because I'm not sure what to set it as.

So the questions are:
What do I set VLAN2 as?
Do I need to reconfigure the network settings of the devices in ports 19-24?
Do I need to setup any routes on the switch so that ports 19-20 can participate in both VLANs?

Any help and commands are greatly appreciated, as I need to have this figured out by this weekend. Thanks in advance.

Without setting a ip address to the VLAN2 interface, you are doing layer 2 switching. The question is, do you need an IP addressed to VLAN2? Do you have the need for hosts on your SAN VLAN to talk to other hosts on other vlans? Only you can answer that question.

Normally, going off of the SAN vernacular you used, a dedicated switch tends to be used for SAN(s), definitely for fiber channel based and often for iSCSI based; however, not to say that you can't share a ethernet switch for iSCSI and your normal LAN traffic, but it tends to be best practice to enable jumbo frames for that SAN traffic which introduces some variables of whether other switches can handle jumbo frames, etc...

If for whatever reason, you do want those vlans to talk, then you'll need to assign that VLAN2 an IP address, add a "ip routing" statement to your config which will enable automatic inter-vlan routing on that switch. This switch will become a basic L3 level switch in which you could then define a few static routes pointing to other hops. You only need to define static routes if you need those subnets to route other places... they automatically route between each other since they are now directly connected networks on that switch.

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back