Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simple TSM Tape resuse problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastleyd

Technical User
Mar 23, 2004
GB
I am having a problem re-using tapes in TSM. I have a single tape drive defined in a manual library - hence - no need to check in/out tapes.

I have a set of 15 tapes, all labelled and volumes defined with the same names as the tapes.

I stick the tape in the drive, and get all the tsm clients to back up to it over night. - works fine! :)

then during the day, I remove the tape, and stick the next one in the sequence into the drive. The same process happens again..backup overnight, replace during the day.

This goes on for 15 cycles - until my tapes are all used.

I then want to go back to the first tape and overwrite it (there will be nothing needed on that tape) - even though it is an incremental backup each night. - if a file hasn't been touched for 15 days, it is a gonna - thats no problem - its how we want it.

The problem is, when I try to write to a tape that has already been used, it is rejected.

How do I clear/emtpy the volume so I can start writing back to it - do I really need to delete the volume, relabel the tape, and re-create the volume!??!?

Any help would be great.

cheers

Are you running expiration and reclaimation to expire your versions and reclaim wasted space on the tape.

Nope, I'm not, how would I do that. Basically all the contents of the tape need to go. - Its a Win2k TSM 5.2 Server - but a command would be ideal.

Thanks

How is your versioning setup?

You can run the command "expire inventory" and check the activity log to see how many entries were expired.

My version is set up as follows:

Policy Domain: STANDARD, Pool: BACKUPOOL

If clinet Data Exits: 15
If client Data is deleted: 15
Length of time to retain extra backup version: 15
length of time to retain only backup version: 15

thinking about it, I could set it all to 1 day, as the tape is changed each day so i wont really remove it. - or will the entry be removed from the database aswell?

The expire inventory thing, will that let me expire everything in a particular volume? that way, I could expire the volume associated with the tape I put in each day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back