Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simple stats - JavaScript - Applets - Servlets???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pav1977

IS-IT--Management
Jul 5, 2006
GB
Just a quick one for all of you guys.

How do you handle this - a small stats page need to be produced based on 4-5 tables of data.

This needs to be handled easily.

Of course I have some ideas in my mind but wanted to see what would experts like yourselves go for ;). This is more of a concept question - what language would use with what tools would you go for - Java Applets and Servlets - JavaScript?
I would want the stats page to be dynamic so in the future I would give the user the ability to query different dates for example.

Cheers

Is this a web app? a desktop app? server app remotely accessible?

The answer will be different depending on what you want to achieve. Once we know what you are after we can possibly redirect you to a more appropriate forum, as this doesn't seem to be an e-business problem.

Steam Engine Prints

Depends on what your webhost has available, and what languages you are familiar with. Javascript is normally viewed as a client-side solution, while you need a server side solution for this. Most popular choices are PHP (look in forum434) , classic ASP (forum333) or ASP.NET (forum855)

It looks like a very straightforward app. For the backend database you just need to watch out using dynamic SQL and protect against SQL injection attacks, but there will be FAQs about this in the appropriate db forum (forum183 for MSSQL and forum436 for MySQL depending on what your host offers.

This still isn't an e-business question, and you really need to migrate it to the appropriate forum when you have sorted out a more detailed question. faq222-2244 will give guidance on forum usage and forum selection.

Steam Engine Prints

The way the forums are organize I don't know where to move it and don't really have too much time to try to understand all your forums - where is web-development forum - you have web design - is that where I should go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back