Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simple Static Route Scenario

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgodinez

Technical User
Apr 18, 2001
US
Dear Greater Cisco Intellect,

I'm newbie to routers/routing, but am trying to study up for the CCNA exam. I've got a simple test lab scenario goin'.

1 Cisco 2503 Router
1 Cisco 2511 Router

I'm trying to ping from the 2503 to the 2511 (or vice versa). Router configurations as follows:

2503#sh ip int brie
Interface IP-Address OK? Method Status Protocol
Async1 unassigned YES manual administratively down down
BRI0 unassigned YES not set administratively down down
Ethernet0 172.16.20.2 YES manual up up
Group-Async1 unassigned YES manual administratively down down
Serial0 unassigned YES manual administratively down down
Serial1 unassigned YES not set down down

2511#sh ip int brie
Interface IP-Address OK? Method Status Protocol
Async1 unassigned YES manual administratively down down
Ethernet0 172.16.30.1 YES manual up up
Serial0 unassigned YES not set administratively down down
Serial1 unassigned YES not set administratively down down

I have the routers physically connected via their AUI port(s). I am using ST Transceivers to provide the physical connection. From my readings, I have assumed that the AUI ports are the ethernet 0 ports.

Upon trying to ping the 2503 from the 2511, I get:

2511#ping 172.16.20.2
Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 172.16.20.2, timeout is 2 seconds:
Success rate is 0 percent (0/5)
2511#

Like I said in the beginning, I'm a cisco idiot. Any ideas?

Much Obliged,

Mike Godinez.
Seattle, WA.

Showers.

Not sure about connecting through AUI ports, but have you got routes set up between the two networks, or are you running a routing protocol like RIP?

If you do a "show ip route" on one of the routers, can it see how to get to the next network?

Another protocol I find very useful for troubleshooting is Cisco Discovery Protocol (CDP).

Do a "show cdp neighbors" and see if you can see the attached router.

Hope this helps some.

Andy

Andy Leates MCSE CCNA MCP+I

Hello Andy,

Thanks for the reply.

I had my IP address(s) set incorrectly (I think).

I changed the IP address for the 2503 router to 172.16.30.2. I was then able to ping the 2511's IP, 172.16.30.1.

Upon executing the show cdp neighbors command on the 2511, I got:

2511#show cdp neighbors
Capability Codes: R - Router, T - Trans Bridge, B - Source Route Bridge
S - Switch, H - Host, I - IGMP

Device ID Local Intrfce Holdtme Capability Platform Port ID
2503 Eth 0 178 R 2500 Eth 0

So it would appear the the 2503 is being 'seen' by the 2511. I knew I should've have skimmed the IP Subnetting chapter...as this where I think my logic for this particular scenario is breaking down.

Thanks again for the reply.

Michael Godinez
Seattle, WA

Partly Cloudy.

Well done for working it out! I am glad you have found out the hard way that skimming subnetting is a VERY BAD IDEA when it comes to Cisco exams! Good luck with the test.

Andy

Andy Leates MCSE CCNA MCP+I

The way you worked it out was good, but you could have done the same thing by keeping the ip's the same as they were you would have needed to add a static route to point all traffic out the outbound interface.

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 e0/0

this would have passed the ping results out the e0/0 interface and returned the ICMP reply. Think of this as one router is Yahoo and the other is your company. The way to get to Yahoo is to provide a route there. In this case you are saying to your router if I send any IP with any Subnet mask I want you to go out the ethernet interface. This is how you also regulate which IP goes out which interface.

Hello Nyy,

Thank you for your response. I just got to the static, default, dynamic routing chapter. I am eager to try your suggestion:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 e0/0

to see how a static route works in action. Good stuff...have you already taken you CCNA exam?

Much Obliged,

Mike Godinez
Seattle, WA

Partly Cloudy.

yes a few years ago and I let my cert expire. the job I was at closed their doors 2 years ago and the CCNA did not help with finding a new job so I did not re-certify.

I worked for UUNET before it was bought by MCI and then we all know what happen to MCI a couple years back. my office was one that was closed in the downsizing and I worked on cisco's for a living, 12000 series to 2600's everything from VPN, basic static, to BGP to OSPF. Over the years I have lost some of my knowledge and joining this board has brought back some of the ol skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back