Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simple Smart Array 3200 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

petergUK

Programmer
Jul 27, 2001
GB
Hi All.

Can a Smart Array 3200 card be installed in a non-Compaq system???

I've tried but on boot the card comes up after the main system BIOS, and i get a message telling me the NVRAM has been updated and that the system will reboot.

It reboots, and the same sequence of events repeats...

Unfortunately not, it would appear Smart Array 3200 controllers, and I guess most other Compaq add-in cards, can only be used in Compaq servers.

I had exactly the same problem trying to use a Smart Array 3200 in a custom built server with a SuperMicro motherboard. I tried the card in a number of other (non-Compaq) servers/desktops with the same (negative) result.

Don't chuck your card though, you can pick up genuine Compaq servers at very cheap prices on auction sites such as eBay, some even come with Smart RAID controllers!!!

Sorry, don't know the reason for your problem !

But I'm using the Smart Array 3200 Controller in my absolutely non-Compaq selfmade BigTower-System based on ASUS P2B Desktop Mainboard without having any problems.

Only the Compaq Smar Array Configuration software gives a warning, being unable to detect server type and PCI-Slot-Number, but I can use it without any limitations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back