Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simple SharePoint user rights question...Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisOjeda

Programmer
Apr 16, 2003
US
My group at work has several people that have rights to publish to a folder and all subfolders. In addition, they have "approval rights" which is a second step beyond publishing. After publishing one must approve the document.

My question has to do with how to set up a new employee. I am not familiar with the administration of sharepoint. Is it not possible to setup the new employee by simple saying to give him the same rights as an existing employee in the group? Also, when you set rights up for someone do you have to give them rights in every single folder or can you give rights such that if you wish they get rights to that folder and all subfolders? One last question, give these circumstances how long should it take to get this person set up?

Hi, dun worry. it is not going to be a difficult process. Listed below is a step by step guide to help you set up a new user. Do correct me if I am wrong. Its been only 1 month since I started administering Sharepoint.

1. Click on "site settings". It should be on the top menubar of your default page.
2. On the page, you will see a category "Web Administration". Click on "Manage Users"
3. Click "Add User"
4. Fill in the form accordingly. You can choose the access rights of this new memeber from there. All the details of the user rights are also stated there.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back