Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simple search form 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wizzweb

Technical User
Apr 12, 2003
GB
Hi

I have a simple question that I would like help on.

I need a simple search form that consists of two text boxes and a cmdBtn.

The user will type in a Town in one box OR a Skill in the other. Click the button and hey presto! All the trainers from that town or that skill will be displayed in a Report rptSearch.

The deatils of the DB are:

Tables:

tblSkills: LevelIF
Skills
Level

tblTrainers: Usual personal details

Forms:

frmSkillsLevel (subfrm on frmTrainers)
frmTrainers

Reports:

rptTrainers
rptSkill
rptSearch

The observant amongst you will notice that I have not created a query. The reason being ... well, I did, but couldn't get the thing to work, so I scraped it.

Hope one of you guys can help out and please keep it simple, I'm still learning.

TIA.

Ken

Hi,

I recently had problems with something like this:

Create 3 queries and 4 text boxes. Two of the text boxes will be linked to just ONE of the queries, so if the user inputs both the TOWN and SKILL, this query will run.
One of the other text boxes, for example a second TOWN text box, will link to another query and this will run if just the TOWN is needed. The fourth and final text box will the second SKILL one and this will work exactly like the second TOWN text box.

It's not a very technical way of doing it and the user will have the choice whether to run a TOWN & SKILL specific report, or just the TOWN or SKILL ones on their own, but it works.

I've got some error prevention code that won't allow the report/query to run if the text boxes aren't populated with something.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything else.

R

There are a few FAQ's on this site that are about search forms. One is faq702-3702

Do a search for "search forms" and then point to FAQ's.

You might find something there you can use.

I downloaded an excellent search form and then modified it for my own use. Can't remember exactly where I got it from but I'm sure it was through one of the FAQ's.

Tom

Many thanks for the link Tom. Looks like I'll have some fun trying these out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back