Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simple Scenario - is this possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 5, 2003
US
Hi.

Running a HP DLT1 SCSI tape drive, with 40/80GB DLT IV tapes. Windows 2000 Professional SP3. Veritas Backup Exec for Windows NT & 2000 systems, Version 8.5. Currently, FULL & Complete backups of two file systems, about 6 GB of data, takes about 1 hour.

I have 5 tapes. Every weekday evening I want to do a full system save, of these two file systems. The following week, I want to "append" the tape written in the first week, with the full system save again. Using this approach, I should be able to 10 to 12 weeks worth of full & complete saves onto these 5 tapes.

If & when the tape gets "full", (i.e. no room for another full save for the night in question), I want to overwrite the oldest full system save on the tape. The next week, overwrite the next oldest save image. Loop, Repeat. Next.

I do NOT want any Alert prompts. I do NOT want incremental saves. I simply want full system saves of these two file systems, every week night. Plain, simple, easy, fast.

Is this possible with Veritas Backup Exec for Windows NT & 2000 systems, Version 8.5? If not, why not? If so, how would this be setup?

How do I achieve implementing my desired backup approach?

Thanks!
Regards,
Scott
CheetahFTL

8.6 you would have to have an append operation every second week, differential and an overwrite full operation every second week.

To restore it may take about three hours, however, if you want to save a few hundred on tapes... You have to ask is that extra hour of coming back from a disaster worth it?

Regards

First of all set your "Media overwrite protection" level to None (make sure the promt box is unticked) this will stop any alerts asking you if you want to overwrite allocated media. Then make sure that "Overwrite recyclable media contained in the target media set before overwriting scratch media" option under media overwrite options.

Secondly create a media set with an overwrite protection time of 10 weeks and an append time of infinate.

Then just schedule your full weekday backups to run to that media pool & remember to select "append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is avalible."

hmmmm...... now that i think about it you may have a problem with Backup Exec backing up to the same tape continuously untill it is full.

But it may still work.

Only one way to find out - give it a go!!

Good Luck

Rols

Rols

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back