Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

simple rollover button questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGTLguy

Technical User
Jul 23, 2003
US
Two questions...

1. can buttons have transparent areas? (e.g. i want the background to show through.) I tried saving photoshop doc as a PNG but it automatically gives it a white background...

2. can i overlap rollover buttons?

go to to see the buttons

on right. Buttons don't work, just for reference. Each

Square Represents a button and I eventually want the Square to glow when you rollover it.

Wrong URL... copy link here >>

home.cinci.rr.com/jshellow

In Fireworks, to get the image to be transparent, you set the the transparency to 'Alpha', instead of 'Index'... never used Photoshop though.
If you can get it to work with gifs that might be better though as png files aren't as well supported.

Can't see any reason why you can't overlap.. although the bits of buttons that are underneath other buttons won't be active. Have never personally done it in DW.. but suspect it could be possible using layers and absolute positioning.

Why not do it in Flash as your site is going to be a Flash site?

luds

i thought about Flash but i want nonFlash users to be able to see the buttons... seeing as how its the index page and the buttons lead to the flash download and other info...

but i've decided to go another route with the buttons...

thanks anyway though

Go to Photoshop and save For Web. Save the image as a Gif file and it should come out transparent. Hope this helps.

i would say do what j118 said!
just save it as a gif in photoshop

you could overlap using layers but i really dont see the point because anything that is overlapped will not work as a link?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back