Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

simple "update"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goalie3533

Programmer
Apr 14, 2004
US
I need to update the field on one of my tables with the data contained in a field on a different table. I tried doing this but I keep getting an error.

Any idea on how to do this?

Thanks.

-Goalie35

and what is the error?

Also, it's not good practice to store the same data in multiple places. What are you trying to accomplish?

I'm using ms access to do my query.
My error says that it's "not an updateable query."

My query was:
"update products set cprice = (select tempPrice from tempTable) where catalogid > 1900"

Thanks again.

-Goalie35

If you have only one record in tempTable, you may try this:
UPDATE products, tempTable
SET products.cprice = tempTable.tempPrice
WHERE products.catalogid > 1900

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

No, actually, I need to update 831 records, not just 1.

So, how do you know which tempPrice to choose for which cprice ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

When you get that error, I'm pretty sure there's the choice of hitting a HELP button with a suggestion of what to do. I think you have to first make a table of your filtered records (CatalogID>1900), then write an update query.

I also agree with PHV: where's your join?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back