Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simple question (maybe) about scheduling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

khyron

Technical User
Nov 21, 2000
CA
Hi,

I have 10 boxes, some unix some NT. I have 1 tape drive.

I want to have incremental backups everyday except Wed (which will be a full) and on Mondays. Mondays are the trick - I would like to have that full backup go to a different pool (Offsite).

Now I've tried making 2 groups, each having all 10 clients, but since scheduling is client determined, the client can only pick 1 sched. So I made a copy of each client, 1 for each schedule (offsite being skip everyday except Monday).

Neither of these methods work. Can anyone give me hints or instructions on what I need to do?

Geoff

khyron,

I have had the same scenario as you. What version of NW are you using? We use version 5.7.0.0 Build 112. I have 2 copies of each client. One runs an incr schedule for Mon, Tues and Thurs, the other runs with a full schedule for Wed and Fri. I had to design two groups, two clients and two schedules.

You're on the right track with your first attempt. Be certain to check in the full group that your Force incremental value is set to the correct interval or No. This will ensure that the full schedule runs even if there is a recent incremental.

Best of luck to you,

CF

Hi CF,

Yes, we're using 5.7 Build 112. What's odd with my 2 pools/schedules is this:

Monday the Onsite schedule is set to SKIP, and the Offsite is set to full. When 9pm rolls around, the Onsite tries to do a incremental backup! If I go into the schedules, and change nothing except setting the override flag, it works like I would expect. All the clients in the onsite are set to use the onsite sched, and vice versa for offsite. I can't see what would make a sched that is marked SKIP run by itself...

Btw - where is the force incremental value? Are you referring to the level setting in the pool properties?

Khyron

khyron,

Now it's clear, it's the override. Get rid of it. I had the same problem here. If I set the override inside the schedule, it wanted to perform a full backup for all my incrementals. This, apparently and according to Legato Technical support that I received, is known bug that they will not fix in version 5.7. They will advise you to upgrage to 6.0.1. No one in Canada currently offers training for that, at least from the research that I've done. We're looking for 6.0.1 training right now.

You may have to reinstall your software to correct the current issue. Be certain to copy the \\win32app\nsr\index directory before you reinstall your software. I would suggest you copy \\win32app\nsr\res and \\win32app\nsr\index folders to a safe location before re-installing the software.

Hope this helps,

CF
cfowler@city.london.on.ca

Here is just an idea that we use for offsites.

We run all of our servers through standard backups - daily incremental, Saturday full. I created a script (actually a batch file) that uses mminfo to parse the databases, identify all 'full' SSIDs, and clone them all to a clone pool - we then take the cloned tapes offsite. This batch file gets kicked off on Sundays using WinAT (or AT if you prefer command line). Monday morning the cloned tapes are ready to be removed.

Unfortunately, this will only work if you are using an autochanger. It does, however keep all of our 'live' backups in house, and still gives us the protection of offsite storage.

Let me know if you want to see the script...

Merry Christmas to all! :)

Voyager1,

Can i have that script? My email address is desmond.yap@d1asia.com

Currently i am also having problem on offsite using Networker.

thanks

Unfortunately I just have 1 drive, no autochanger.

I'm still finding networker very bizarre to schedule...

Khyron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back