Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simple Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chunkus

Technical User
Jun 12, 2003
GB
Hi

I currently have 2 PCs networked together - sharing files, printers and a slow internet connection. I think the only kit I have is: 2 internal networks cards, a hub and a LOT of wires!!!!!

I am about to move to ADSL, and buy an Ipaq. Additioanlly, I would also like to have a wireless network. What specific kit do I need to achieve this???

I started looking at Ethernet/Wireless Routers & dongles on the ADSL guide site - but I believe this would only be for the internet connection - which means I would still need my existing hub etc for files and printers (which would not allow the Ipaq to communicate).

HELP!!!! If I am using the wring forum please let me know.

Thank you.

Jason

[wink][wink][wink]

If you purchase a Router it will be able to satisfy all your file sharing needs.

They come in a no. of flavours. I have an all-in-one D-Link (Firewall, Router, Modem, Switch)

You need a Wireless Broadband Router, with or without modem is your choice. Something like the D-Link DSL-604+

Visit:

or .co.uk AND
-they both supply good products.

| Feedback is always appreciated as this will help to further our knowledge as well |

"D-Link DSL-604+"

I did not think this was wireless.
Is it?

Jason

This forum might be more appropriate:
forum585
-OR-
forum916

Just remember that most routers meant for home broaband connections have a built-in switch, which is like a hub but better allowing for you to share an internet connection without the need of a server, and of course share files/printers.

~cdogg
[tab]"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

I use a netgear DM602 adsl modem/router (also has DHCP) that has both usb and ethernet, which I then plug into a linksys WRT54G wireless access point, this has a built in 4 port switch for your other wired products.

The good thing about this is it runs at 54mbs which most all in one products dont at present.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back