Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

simple multiply of a field

Status
Not open for further replies.

miabe

Technical User
Jul 22, 2001
DE
hello!

I'm quite new with access and have a probably simple problem with my database. I want to multiply a field with 0.52 without using a formula because I need to manualy type values in this field. Is there an easy way to multiply all my 'price'-fields with this value?
sorry for my bad english but I don't know all the english names for the access-elements.
thanx.
mia

Hi Mia!

If your saying that you want to do a one time update of the fields in question, then your best bet is an update query. Use the query builder and add the table and fields you want to update. Click on the drop-down arrow next to the ! in the toolbar and choose Update query. In the Update To box which will be added after your selection type in FieldName * 0.52 for each field you want to update. That should take care of it for you, but I would recommend that you preview the results before running the query.

hth
Jeff Bridgham

how do I get several say, 10 records to come up on a form;
then being able to click on a key field and that one record
which I have clicked on come up by itself.

Thanks,
Don Baxter
MS. Department Of Marine Resources

Don:

Use a combo box to select the record you want. Set the combo box to display 10 lines. Use 2 values in the combo box like the ID and the name. Hide the ID by making its column width 0, but bind the combo box to the ID field. In the AfterUpdate event of the combo box use a macro or code to find the record associated with the name. Code would be something like:

ComboBox_After_Update:
If not IsNull(Me!ComboBox) then
Me!IDField.SetFocus
DoCmd.FindRecord Me!ComboBox
End if

Uncle Jack

Thanks Uncle jack for such a quick response; I will give it
try.

Don

thank you very much! I'll give it a try! mia

Status
Not open for further replies.