Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

simple mod_alias question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fierceman

Technical User
Mar 19, 2003
CA
Hi everyone. I'm new here.

Can anyone please tell me how to run the Alias directive on a RedHat Linux server using Apache (all latest versions). I don't have physical access to the server but I do have SSH

As it stands right now the following URL is associated with the following directory:

--> /home/mysite/public_html/test

I would like to have this instead:

--> /home/someotherdirectory

When I log in using the SSH client, it doesn't even recognize the Alias directive. It is possible that mod_alias has not been enabled but I don't know how to check that, much less enable it...

So my question is HOW do I enable it and how do I use it to accomplish the above task?

I'm sure it's something really simple that I'm missing but I can't figure it out for the life of me... Thanks in advance.

thanks sleipnir... I'm kind of a newbie though (if you couldn't tell ;))... can you tell me a little bit more on how to do that?

1. Connect to the server via ssh.

2. Figure out which text editors are available on your system. I cannot advise you other than to say vi is usually installed by default.

3. Invoke the editor and edit the file. The file will most likely be in /etc/httpd/conf, but that is not quaranteed. Invoke find / -name httpd.conf if you have problems finding the file.

4. Save your changes. Your username will need permissions to write to the file. Want the best answers? Ask the best questions: TANSTAAFL!

Hi all,

I have a question regarding to the URL.
You know sometimes you can goto:

How do you setup support, download, and info to point out to the page/file instead of directories?
First I thought that support, download and info are folders. But if they are folders, for some of the browsers you need to add / at the end to be able to access it.
What is the proper way to get these things workig?
Thanks.

--
Mike FN
"8 out of 10 Owners who Expressed a Preference said Their Cats Preferred Web Programmer."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back