Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simple hyperlink in FrontPage/Word not working!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dallas4u

MIS
Dec 29, 1999
US
I have a question about a situation that has come up again, with the same machine, which I thought I fixed 3 weeks ago. The mahcine is a laptop running XP and Office XP. The person in question uses FrontPage (and Word... occasionally) to create hyperlinks for a local intranet for their division. For some reason, when typing a word as, say "Hello", then highlighting it and right clicking, she can click "Hyperlink" and nothing happens. She can also click the "Insert Hyperlink" button on the toolbar and again, nothing happens.

I rebuilt her machine possibly 5 times over a couple days, trying to narrow down the problem in the install process. I thought I found the problem and worked around it. The machine worked fine and she was able to create hyperlinks for a few weeks... up until this week. She is having the exact same problem again. Nothing new has been installed on the machine since I left it (it has been locked down).

I am wondering if anyone has heard, seen, worked with, or created this problem before? It is REALLY bugging me. I have the same software on my machine, although I have different updates and OTHER software as well, and I can create as many hyperlinks as I want.

Thanks for the help in advance!!!

What happens if she runs Detect and Repair from the Help menu?

If that doesn't work, try step 5 of Word Troubleshooting at
Do either of those fix it?

I haven't a clue why it would occur and I've never heard of it as in issue. What about the Ctrl+K shortcut to insert a hyperlink? Does that work?

Anne Troy
Word and Excel Macros
Coming soon: wX

Thanks Anne... I'll try your tips, see what happens, and post any results.

It looks like it was CDOOFF.DLL that became corrupted or missing for some reason. I used Norton SystemWorks and it fixed the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back