Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simple Foxpro extract of client\t data using old SQL, Memo field issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aging Programmer

Technical User
Feb 23, 2018
US
I am simply trying to extract an very old foxpro database for migrating to new reservations system. I brushed up on my SQL & FOX pro (been about 25 years) but having issues with collecting the data from 2 MEMO fields.

The simple SELECT * from database name INTO DBF newfile. Got everything EXCEPT the two MEMO fields stored in a .FPT file. So have tried about everything to resolve and checked hundreds of forums. It did extract but into .DBF and a .FPT files.

I switched to listing field names so I could select specifically the MEMO fields and just collect the first 200 or so characters of each. I have tried LEFT(CL_EMAIL,255) with the AS CL_EMAIL and without the AS,. I have tried CAST, I have tried SUBSTR all to no avail. Lots of forums complaining about having MEMO fields truncated to 255 chars. I would be fine with that.

When I use INTO DBF, it puts the memo fields into 2x extracted .DBF & .FPT files (which is where they are stored now). I am trying to merge into 1 file. Could be several different file formats for the extract. They can work with that.

So SELECT INTO nnnn.TXT also has not worked. I only get the first one character of the CL_EMAIL memo field. When I tried SUBSTR in one attempt it gave the email as 180. maybe the largest field size of the CL_EMAIL in the .FPT file?

The ancient software program will allow an extract for mailing labels including a disk extract with the CL_EMAIL field but I want phone numbers and lots of other fields.

Too many late nights. Need assistance!! (not too technical please. 68 yr old brain is still pretty smart but dont push it).

Lorraine Hall
Want to be retired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back