Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simple Form Questions from old 26 guy 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 10, 2001
US
Hi Group!

So my learning evolution has lead me to this.

I used the Wizard to create a form of a free table.

How do I do a simple thing like add text to the form?

I click on the big "A" in the toolbar, and "Label2" appears on the form, with the Properties Dialog box on the right.

What do I do next to get simple text to overwrite "Label2"?

TIA - More dumbass questions to follow...

Wayne@Home

You need to right click on the "label2" and then click on Property from the popup menu. Then in the Property Box that opens up, you need to find "Caption" and then Override it with whatever you wish. To make the text appear if you type lots of characters, make sure you set the "Autosize" to .t.

Hope this helped! Tekno
Wireless Toyz
Ypsilanti, Michigan

lots and lots of dumbass questions can be answered by going to Hentzenwerke and buying a book.

I would think that this would be valuable not just from answering this question, but prevent you from doing something wrong, because you figured out a what that appears to work

PF

Perryf, I don't think any question is a "Dumbass" question. I don't think that was appropriate to say! If you know how to search the net and find answers, or at least think the way you do, well, not everyone is.

Tekno
Wireless Toyz
Ypsilanti, Michigan

Tekno, thank-you for your prompt and correct answer.
ramani, thank-you for the link. I have added it to my favourites.

Re: Buy the book...
I humbly consider myself to be somewhere in the "expert" level of working with FPW26. When I read what a "Table" is and what a "DBF" is, my mind glazes over from boredom.

After working with dBase and Fox for over 8 years, I have the command syntax and basic understanding of how Fox works down pretty pat.

I am attempting to learn VFP by applying what I already know about 26. If I could find a book, that skipped over the basics, and somehow equated VFP with 26, I would be interested.

ie...A "window" is now called a "form"
....A free dbf is now called a "table"
....A collection of "tables" is now called a dbf...etc..etc

If my basic questions, offend your sense of sensibilities, please do us both a favour and ignore my humble questions.

Otherwise, I am here to learn, and share what knowledge I do have, with the other members of this forum.

Regards - Wayne@home

xBase, you may ask any question you like, as long as it is in the area of vfp.... NO QUESTION IS A DUMB QUESTION. We are all here to learn, including RAMANI and Rick (rgbean) and the rest... of the top experts... right RAMANI? This is what make this Tek-Tip Forum the best!!!

(shoot, I have asked many many questions, and that is how I am learning, reading and asking and viewing answers that others have asked!, and maybe to lots of expert programmer, they seem dumb, but, not to me, I am here to learn, and not get insulted...

Thank you all, and lets keep this forum for learning!
:) Tekno
Wireless Toyz
Ypsilanti, Michigan

TeknoSDS,

I used the term Dumbass, because he did.

Fp26Guy,

Whil Hentzen has a book called "Fundamentals". It is written specfically for a guy in your position. I owned the V3 copy of the book and found it extremely helpful.

PF

ohhhhh

sorry PerryF, My BAD, and I appologize for that,,, Did not pay attention! ;)

I owe you one!!

I guess we are all here to help each other!!! I am sorry again PerryF... Tekno
Wireless Toyz
Ypsilanti, Michigan

I also started 'dbaseing' myself when dBase didn't have a number after it. One very helpful tool is the Hacker Guide to Visual FoxPro found at Hentzenwerke Publishing. You get hard copy and a help chm that puts MS helps to shame.

It's always on my task tray to lookup some of the wonderful stuff I find here at Tek Tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back