Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simple File transfer to friends PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

golcarlad

Programmer
Nov 23, 2004
GB
OK - I am IT literate but I dont know how you go about transferring a file to a freinds PC (without Email or using Freespace.com etc). I have a file which is a patch for a game, some 250MB, so its big. How can I let my friend have access to my PC so he can download it from my PC, this isnt LAN, he lives miles away!!
I think I need to create an FTP server, which I have done, but my IP is the usual 192.168.1.100 etc, and this must be the same for everyone so its not unique - so that wont work if he tries to connect to that IP. This is the gap in my knowledge here, I also think there will be firewall issues here as well, both his and mine.
Can anyone give some simple instuctions on how you allow someone to download a file from your PC to theirs using FTP protocol - many thanks.
Simon

Install an ftp Server, add user, "share" folder, enable port 21 in your firewall, if using a router, configure it to forward port 21 to your PC.

Goto Internet Explorer (or Netscape or ...) and go to - note the displayed IP

tell your friend to access the ftp://notedIP and login as you defined. now he is able to access the ftp-folder and download the file.

--------------------------------------
>>>>>> Bugs will appear in one part of a working program when another 'unrelated' part is modified <<<<<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back