Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simple encryption solutions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethos

Technical User
Feb 27, 2001
GB
Hi ya, Does anyone know of any simple (my users are not technical) encription software. Only needed to increase email security.

Tried PGP, the technophobes freaked. Any help would be appreciated.

X-)

cheers. ETHOS.
Ethos777@hotmail.com

Well, if they're willing to learn nothing, that's about what they'll get. I'd encourage PGP, b/c it is secure and fairly simple. I don't know of another good, simple option that won't get broken or hacked.

MWB.

Disclaimer:
Beware: Studies have shown that research causes cancer in lab rats.

I have to agree - PGP is by far the best, as well as one of the more user-friendly, solutions.
If the Technophobes are scared of THAT one, I wonder what won't scare them - maybe only the solitaire game? ;-) When privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy!

Well, I just think that if you're in a place that needs increased email security, the employees can suck it up and learn how to do the PGP. It's not that hard, and you can't just expect to get by only on what you currently know for the rest of your life. Just my 2 cents, no flames please...

MWB.

Disclaimer:
Beware: Studies have shown that research causes cancer in lab rats.

Flames are extinguished quickly here. Ethos has a good question that I wish I could answer.
VCA.gif

Alt255@Vorpalcom.Intranets.com​

You might want to look at CryptoSoft Enigma. You can download a copy from ZDNets ( or (probably) your favorite download site. It's shareware. You can drag and drop a file into it and the file will be encrypted. I haven't tried it extensively, though.

For the price, PGP Freeware is hard to beat, though. Its the one I chose. (I'm cheap, I admit.)
James P. Cottingham

Thank for all your help... by the way it would take much more than that for a flame grilled user.

back to the dye and rocks. I would have said drawing board but that is a little advanced in these parts.

Thanks again.
ETHOS. X-)
A woman once drove me to drink and computers...
and I never had the decency to thank her.
Ethos777@hotmail.com

Actually i am working on this to some extent in my job.... If you can set up set up OpenSSH on a server that runs the mail server, there is a windows client that will work with existing Mail protocols, any protocol really, http,ftp etc...
oppen ssh is at
Secure Shell is at

You simply have to install one program on a the computers, and change the server names to localhost. The directions are in the secure shell docs....

good luck, send me an email if this works, i am interested in implementing something similar but i don't have the time....

ackka
ackka@mad.scientist.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back