Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simple DOS question

Status
Not open for further replies.

RenoWV

Technical User
Mar 16, 2002
US
I came to Windows at 98SE, so never had to learn DOS, and would like to know...

If I boot from the emergency floppy in the [A] drive, and want to run Norton System Works in the cd drive [D], is this the way the dos command should look? If incorrect, please advise...

A: \D: cd

Thanks Darrell -- I read the page at Symantec and learned that I can boot from my Norton CD, which was news to me.

But in general, I am also trying to learn a little about DOS, so if I want to get to a cd in the D drive when booting from the emergency floppy in A, was my path written correctly?

A: \D: cd

If not, please indicate the right way to type it as I want to keep the info in written notes...

To change to the 'D' drive:

A> D:

To change directories (folders) within the 'D' drive:

D> cd foldername or cd foldername/foldername/foldername or whatever path is required.

When you get to the correct folder where the executable program is (probably in the top-level, root folder), just type the name of the program:

D> nsw or whatever Norton System Works program is supposed to run.

Be aware that your cd rom drive, which is normally D: when running windows, may not be the same letter when booting with an emergency floppy.

Thanks smah -- I'm starting a folder with information about how to run DOS in case I need it. There's a lot of info online, but for some reason I could not find that basic question answered until now.....

RenoWV - be sure to PRINT the contents of your folder and keep it in a handy place. It seems that the only time you need DOS is when Windows, or the PC, won't start.

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

Thanks diogenes10 -- Very informative so I printed out the page.

Thanks too tviman -- but I have a quick question. When you say to "PRINT the contents of your folder", which folder of the dozens (perhaps hundreds!) would that be?

Easier way to have a basic "off computer" dos reference might be to get a copy of "dos for dummies" or one of the old dos books by Dan Gookin or Van Wolverton.

Well, I started out using old skewl DOS 2.11. Great having to make batch files and stuff, lol. Anyway you can pull up a DOS prompt in windows by going to run and typing in command. From there you should have a prompt that you can type help in at and hit enter and you'll get a list of dos commands. If you want more info on a command you should be able to put in the command followed by /? As an example, prompt /? If you want to display the contents of a directory type in dir. To see more options for the directory command type in dir /? Browsing around the net will turn up tons of DOS help sites.

Thanks ImpetusEra. You are right about the ton of DOS sites -- the stuff I've printed out is now about an inch thick. If I see the "DOS for Dummies" in a used bookstore somewhere I'll pick it up.

For my troubleshooting purposes (my one & only plan for DOS right now is to get me out of a jam) I am finding that I must get little nuggets of info from different places, as opposed to finding it all nice and tidy in one spot. But better that than no info at all, and I'm much better prepared now than I was 3 days ago if disaster should strike....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back