Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simple Compression Frustrations.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheElusiveYak

Programmer
Feb 8, 2004
US
Alrighty this is a long one.....
I wrote a program that converts a file into a text file with the charecters 'A'-'P' as the only data in them. this works fine, but unfourtunately the resulting filesize is double the original, so im writing a series of compression procedures to reduce this, the one im working on currently is insanely buggy but I can't find where.
What this procedure is supposed to do is go through and copy the file but where there are instances of repeating charecters count them up and write a base 23 number dictating how many of that letter is needed. But when i decompress it the resulting file does not match the original.
I know its alot to ask but if you have the time could you please look over my code at and point out any errors you pick up? Thanks a ton!

Unless I've misunderstood something, that site just has the executable and a test file, not the source.

[vampire][bat]

Im sorry, freewebs was down for a bit and i couldn't upload it.... its there now

Actualy I just solved the problem, but thank you for your time. You don't know how much I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back