Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simple change of 7941 MAC addy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skim6225

MIS
Sep 11, 2012
US
Hi all. I'm trying to change a single character in an existing MAC address for a 7941 as it's Rejected and I suspect one letter may be incorrect. When I do I get an error saying "only hexadecimal characters can be used".

I've tried manually typing in the new addy w/no luck and also tried to build a new phone with the updated MAC. Same response. The addy does not have a space on either end not does it have a character other than a letter or digit.

Any thoughts?

Thx guys!

You got a character wrong. There are certain characters that Cisco doesnt use for their phones so if it detects it, it will error.

Certifications:
A+
Network+
CCENT
CCNA Voice
TVOICE
CAPPS
CIPTV1
CIPTV2

Wasn't aware of that. So I see either "00235E19A6OE" or " 00235E19A6DE".
7941_jyikhy.jpg

The "O" (letter "oh") is not being accepted. Is there a list of characters not accepted?

I would check it on the phone itself to be sure. I have seen labels on phones be incorrect. But I would say its a D as well. Cisco doesn't use O.

Certifications:
A+
Network+
CCENT
CCNA Voice
TVOICE
CAPPS
CIPTV1
CIPTV2

belevedere - I did use D at first. It accepts it but remains Rejected. It's built as a 7941. Will look over programming closer. The character error threw me for a loop :)

Check it is built as the correct set type.
Also so into settings while it is trying to register and look at the MAC address.

MAC address (hex) will only have 0-9 and A through F, the letter O will be invalid.

Hey Buddy - I haven't heard back from the customer (not unusual). Probably means all is well now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back